The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   UDS Question (yes, I'm reading "The Thread" (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158437)

sigpi906 04-11-2013 02:26 PM

UDS Question (yes, I'm reading "The Thread"
 
I'm currently 10 pages into "THE" UDS thread. I'm wondering if you guys have any pages bookmarked where there is a particular concentration of knowledge/info. I'm thinking I'm not going to make it through all 500 pages...

I'm particularly interested in build tutorials that are well put together

aawa 04-11-2013 02:30 PM

Here is a thread that does a full build of a UDS. You can use it as a basic guide and adapt it to what tools and parts you have onhand.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=43943

nucornhusker 04-11-2013 02:38 PM

Use Donnie's (Pitmaster T) indexes. They will save you a lot of time. I'm glad he took the time to do this.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...4&postcount=35

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...8&postcount=33

1911Ron 04-11-2013 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aawa (Post 2444339)
Here is a thread that does a full build of a UDS. You can use it as a basic guide and adapt it to what tools and parts you have onhand.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=43943

I used this one for my build!

fweck 04-11-2013 03:00 PM

Well I just booked marked this thread, thanks guys!!

sigpi906 04-11-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nucornhusker (Post 2444351)
Use Donnie's (Pitmaster T) indexes. They will save you a lot of time. I'm glad he took the time to do this.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...4&postcount=35

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...8&postcount=33

AWESOME! Exactly what I was hoping for. Now I've just got to find one if these dang barrels.

nucornhusker 04-11-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sigpi906 (Post 2444401)
AWESOME! Exactly what I was hoping for. Now I've just got to find one if these dang barrels.

I'm getting some more from a guy that works at a place that sandblasts things. The sand they get comes in unlined drums that they throw away like Kleenex. A lot better than my drum that had honey stored in it and I had the dreaded liner to deal with. I had mine sandblasted.

BobBill 04-12-2013 07:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Am newbie, but have been lurking for a long time.

Read the entire UDS thread and built a small version, with son's help and have one question which was not really answered.

Heat rises...why not have thermometer in lid and factor in temp diff, instead of down by grille surface? Besides, with this narrow grille, wouldn't a lid version preclude problems when removing basket/cage and lower grilles?

I used 22-inch wide SS salad bowl for the top to gain height, with drafted chimney in center and tried to add pic to give ideal.


BTW, for those interested, I acquired the bowl on line from Instawares.com Amazing fast service.

Due to crappola weather here, have yet to fire it up or remove interior anti rust.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke 04-12-2013 07:41 AM

The grate is where the meat is.

Grates run at a different temperature than the lid by a significant number of degrees depending on how a smoker is designed.

willbird 04-12-2013 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobBill (Post 2445106)
Am newbie, but have been lurking for a long time.

Read the entire UDS thread and built a small version, with son's help and have one question which was not really answered.

Heat rises...why not have thermometer in lid and factor in temp diff, instead of down by grille surface? Besides, with this narrow grille, wouldn't a lid version preclude problems when removing basket/cage and lower grilles?

I used 22-inch wide SS salad bowl for the top to gain height, with drafted chimney in center and tried to add pic to give ideal.


BTW, for those interested, I acquired the bowl on line from Instawares.com Amazing fast service.

Due to crappola weather here, have yet to fire it up or remove interior anti rust.

I'm kinda liking the bowl :-).....I suppose you could put a bung in the lid to allow sliding a thermo in that still had it's tip at grate level. It can be a fumble fark pulling thermo's to move grates if you forget til you open the lid :-).

Is this the bowl you used ?? It says 19" ?? EDIT now I see you said 22" ;-)

http://www.instawares.com/20-qt-stai...-47949.0.7.htm

savageford 04-12-2013 08:47 AM

Can you provide a link to the bowl?

Wampus 04-12-2013 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willbird (Post 2445123)
I'm kinda liking the bowl :-).....I suppose you could put a bung in the lid to allow sliding a thermo in that still had it's tip at grate level. It can be a fumble fark pulling thermo's to move grates if you forget til you open the lid :-).

Is this the bowl you used ?? It says 19" ?? EDIT now I see you said 22" ;-)

http://www.instawares.com/20-qt-stai...-47949.0.7.htm

Here's another well documented build by a brother who used a real nice stainless steel lid for his:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=69650

BobBill 04-12-2013 10:01 AM

Savage, Hesmells and Will,

I think it is 19" diameter, 20-22 quarts and heavy SS. Was 15 $coots.

Yes the link is the bowl...the biggest one they had. I knew it had to extend from edges...which may mean grease migration and drips, not sure. I wanted added height, and decided against adding iron or alum ring for Weber top--now have whole Weber to sell...

As to temp at grille "where meat is" I understand, but figured to simply factor in the diff by moving the prime temp spot to TDC on dial, to limit basket problems.

But, maybe in side is better, using lamp pipe to close when removed, to remove during winter storage here...gets cold...

BUT, remember I have a smaller 30 gal drum, with 19 inch top
...

AND, that SS is a PIA to open with hole saw.

And may be grease drips issues later...not sure...

Also, you will have to drill at least 4 5/16 holes for rain and three size 10 bolts at angle or where screws, double nutted, will contact barrel to keep lid on in wind...or sliding off.

I bought bowl and now am honestly thinking a wide soft iron ring bolted to inside of top would have been easier and as effective, with mid-sized Weber lid.

Just my thoughts.

That vendor has the best service I have seen to date...from any on-line source. Moreover, one item was cancelled and they notified me immediately. Great source for kitchen stuff.

haven 04-12-2013 11:07 AM

I noticed that site had a 30qt bowl. diam was 22.38 inches and around $30

BobBill 04-12-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haven (Post 2445349)
I noticed that site had a 30qt bowl. diam was 22.38 inches and around $30

You know, I think that is the one I bought...it really hangs low over barrel.

I went looking for receipt and cannot locate...but bet you are correct. Duh! on me...and it might just fit the standard large drums too?

Good heads-up, Haven. Sorry I mis-wrote.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.