The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Looking for poke input (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158326)

Crash 04-10-2013 03:44 AM

Looking for poke input

I know I'll get raked over the proverbial coals for this, but I also know that all of the Brethren have amazing input.

Here's the situation. We have a poke contest this weekend in Hawaii. Ahi, Tako (octopus) and ....wait for it..... Vegetarian.

Directly taken from the Wikipedia site....here's the definition of poke.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poke_(Hawaii)

Due to the severe lack of BBQ comps out in the 808 (Hawaii), we are now competing for the third time in this competition. GC gets an all expense paid trip to Alaska to fish for Halibut and Salmon.

We've done very well in previous years in 2 out of the three categories. Just not enough to get us to the final table and on to Alaska to do some fishing.

Any ideas will be appreciated and I'll respect it if you wanna get all snarky....hell, this is a BBQ forum.

Wampus 04-10-2013 06:55 AM

Pffft.....I thought it was a mis-type.

I thought you meant poke (POWK) as in "pulled poke". :becky:

Are you looking for help on how to improve your poke?
Cause....I got nuthin.....

stephan 04-10-2013 07:44 AM

Do I have it right? Theres actually no cooking involved in a POKE. Sounds interesting for sure.

SmokinJohn 04-10-2013 07:47 AM

I'm jealous. Mrs. SJ looooves poke (take it anyway you want)....and Hawaii

But on a serious note, are you asking for smoked veggie recipes?

I'm thinking that some guava-smoked avocado and/or some kiawe-smoked firm tofu should go in there.

Bludawg 04-10-2013 09:44 AM

If it lives in the water I aint eatin it sorry! ( Food allergies)

pmad 04-10-2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crash (Post 2442374)
Here's the situation. We have a poke contest this weekend in Hawaii. Ahi, Tako (octopus) and ....wait for it..... Vegetarian.

Am I missing something?
How does a vegetarian dish contain two animals?

SmokinJohn 04-10-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmad (Post 2442689)
Am I missing something?

As I read it, there are three categories:

Ahi (the traditional protein)
Tako (A crunchier protein) and
Vegetarian

The veggie poke would be tough, because you need something in between ahi and tako. That's why I thought avocado or firm tofu.

Now that I think about it, breadfruit might work, as well as taro.

But what about a smoked apple banana, diced into poke-sized pieces?

Stoke&Smoke 04-10-2013 11:12 AM

There is no such thing as vegetarian poke. Any tree hugging vegetarian can just get over it. Poke is a raw fish prep, augmented with veg:wink:

Crash 04-10-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmad (Post 2442689)
Am I missing something?

3 categories.

Crash 04-10-2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephan (Post 2442477)
Do I have it right? Theres actually no cooking involved in a POKE. Sounds interesting for sure.

Ahi and veggie categories can "technically" be cooked. Tako must be cooked. Anyone that serves cooked ahi as a poke will definitely be banned from the island. :loco:

Crash 04-10-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokinJohn (Post 2442481)
I'm jealous. Mrs. SJ looooves poke (take it anyway you want)....and Hawaii

But on a serious note, are you asking for smoked veggie recipes?

I'm thinking that some guava-smoked avocado and/or some kiawe-smoked firm tofu should go in there.

Any and all ideas welcome. Not just smoked ideas.

AZScott 04-10-2013 01:49 PM

Crash, what about a mix of roasted indigenous root vegetables and the "typical" poke seasoning? Put a touch of fish sauce in it for an additional savory kick along with a small spritz of vinegar and you might have something. Then again, I've never had poke.

Brother Matt 04-10-2013 03:12 PM

Oh man, I love me some poke, and it's Tahitian cousin, Poisson Cru. For the veg I'd probably go for something that is similar in texture to the fish, maybe smoked eggplant? Maybe a roasted winter squash? Hmm, you might replicate the tako with a pickled Bull Kelp? I'm totally reaching, but it sounds like a fun experiment. Good luck, hope you get to go after those 'but in AK.

SmokinJohn 04-10-2013 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crash (Post 2442374)
Due to the severe lack of BBQ comps out in the 808 (Hawaii)....

Pssst....

http://hilobaybbq.com/Page_10_UUDD.php

I think this is on the Big Island. If I had known about this last year, I might have come to see how I fare against my island brethren, and share some BBQ love (And grind on some poke).....can't make it this year, but probably in 2014...

pmad 04-10-2013 04:05 PM

Thanks.
Again, there is no such thing as vegetarian poke.

That aside, in order to serve the octopus raw, you need to tenderize it by beating it with a peeled daikon radish. It imparts flavor while tenderizing.
Then slice the octopus extremely thin and allow the citrus to "cook" it like ceviche.
Mix with tomato, red onion, green onion, soy sauce, sesame oil, and chili pepper.

Just before serving, sprinkle with a nice course salt.