The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Peach wood; is it just me? (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157833)

sdbbq1234 04-03-2013 08:41 PM

Peach wood; is it just me?

I got a bag of peach woods chunks. They are pretty good size chunks.

Anyway, I threw some on my UDS a few weeks ago when smoking some ribs.

Well, the smell of the smoke was really pungent! Nothing like any other wood I have used.

Is it just me, or does peach wood put off a really strong smell?

Thanks.

wallace

BBQ Bandit 04-03-2013 08:44 PM

Peach is a sweet smelling wood - when burning clean.
Smoldering wood will be bitter and pungent.

DirtyChurro 04-03-2013 09:03 PM

Not to sound snarky, because it isn't meant that way, but isn't smoldering wood what you want?

BBQ Bandit 04-03-2013 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyChurro (Post 2434667)
Not to sound snarky, because it isn't meant that way, but isn't smoldering wood what you want?

Fair question. The key aspect of smoking meat is a desired TYPE and COLOR of smoke. Thick, white billowing smoke (common with smoldering, partially burnt wood) is not what we are shooting for... but is full of bitter particles (not fully burned elements)... many refer to as an undesired aftertaste.

Using fruitwood is not as BTU rich or as hard as oak, maple, or hickory wood which are the true hardwoods - requires hot burning fires which results to a thin blue smoke in appearance. The cleaner the smoke - better the results.

Using chunks mixed with charcoal - will vary in proportions for different smokers and designs.

The smoker on the left - is running too cool and not ready for meat. The smoker on the right is ready to cook.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/at...1&d=1275444393

Meat & Heat 04-03-2013 09:28 PM

Kinda smells like piss to me:laugh:. I have used a lot of peach and agree it has a differen't smell, nothing like apple, cherry, or even oak, which I think smells good while smoking.
It does through give a good flavor

DirtyChurro 04-03-2013 09:38 PM

I have not used peach wood. I generally use cherry and apple and they smell great when they smolder on the tray above my propane flame in my Smoke Vault. It puts off that blue smoke for me. For a while I thought the smoker was performing poorly because it wasn't chuffing the white smoke I used to get from my old smoker back in the day. :doh: I haven't had anything on live coals for a long time. My UDS will be done someday...

caseydog 04-03-2013 09:45 PM

My FIL cut down a dying peach tree, and the wood was very mild on the smoker. If it was really smokey, and as someone mentioned, "smelled like piss," I would have to think that the wood rotted.

Seriously, the peach wood I smoked with was some of the mildest wood I have smoked with. That was just my own personal experience.

CD

Fishawn 04-03-2013 10:48 PM

Got any pics? Maybe it was not Peach?.... Peach I've used has always been nice, sweet & mild.

sdbbq1234 04-03-2013 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishawn (Post 2434806)
Got any pics? Maybe it was not Peach?.... Peach I've used has always been nice, sweet & mild.

No problem. I'll get some pics tomorrow and pits them back.

wallace

MattG 04-04-2013 07:46 AM

I've cooked with a good bit of peach wood, never noticed a piss smell. But it does have a strong smell when cooking but it only adds a mild sweet smoke flavor to the meat. And it helps add some extra color the the meat as well.

Gnaws on Pigs 04-04-2013 07:58 AM

Probably wasn't seasoned completely-both peach and cherry have that bitter, "piss" smell when still somewhat green, it comes from the hydrocyanic acid in the bark. Freshly-cut cherry wood has a very bitter, unpleasant smell which goes away as it dries. Same with peach.

Kloogee 04-04-2013 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQ Bandit (Post 2434695)
<clip>

Using fruitwood is not as BTU rich or as hard as oak, maple, or hickory wood which are the true hardwoods - requires hot burning fires which results to a thin blue smoke in appearance. The cleaner the smoke - better the results.

<clip>

The smoker on the left - is running too cool and not ready for meat. The smoker on the right is ready to cook.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/at...1&d=1275444393

Bandit,
That picture is a fantastic illustration of good and bad smoke!

For your statement about fruit vs. hard woods, I'm not clear on what you are saying. Are you saying fruits or hard woods have to burn hotter to get the thin blue? For me, I have a UDS which of course is a smoldering fire where the temp is restricted by lowering the air flow. Would it be easier for me to use oak and get thin blue compared to the normal apple or cherry I use (or peach in the OP's case)?

nthole 04-04-2013 08:07 AM

That picture should be in the faq for beginners. That is a perfect example of smoke.

That said, I tried peach once and hated it. So it might not be just you. Sometimes there are things you just don't like!

Gnaws on Pigs 04-04-2013 08:10 AM

Another factor with peach and cherry is the size of the wood pieces-larger pieces with less or no bark are much better than small limb chunks with a lot of bark. The bark is where the bitter smell comes from.

NickTheGreat 04-04-2013 08:40 AM

How did it taste?