The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Royal Oak Lump (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157818)

gmag 04-03-2013 05:12 PM

Royal Oak Lump

I just wanted to do a quick post about Royal Oak lump charcoal. Today was my first time using it. I got it on sale yesterday for $4.99/bag so I thought it'd be worth a shot. The lump lit quickly and held good heat. I liked using it better than Good-One lump and Cowboy lump for sure. Definitely worth a buy if you're looking for lump charcoal!

Smoothsmoke 04-03-2013 05:18 PM

Yes, it's good lump. Wish it was more readily available in my area.

Vendinguy 04-03-2013 05:48 PM

Where did you find it for $4.99?

Daggs 04-03-2013 05:55 PM

I don't smoke with RO lump but I do use it to start the chimney. I do however love grilling with it!

manbearpig 04-03-2013 06:08 PM

Even though I want to hate them for buying up all the Missouri charcoal producers , they do make really consistent lump . Red bag only .

TheMidnightSmoker 04-03-2013 06:20 PM

I would use it all the time if I could find it. Walmart here in town used to sell it for 6.97 a bag but they stopped carrying it a couple of years ago.

Kave Dweller 04-03-2013 07:58 PM

Rest depot has red bag here all year round, but I actually prefer blue bag star fire, seems bigger chunk

Pyle's BBQ 04-03-2013 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmag (Post 2434356)
I just wanted to do a quick post about Royal Oak lump charcoal. Today was my first time using it. I got it on sale yesterday for $4.99/bag so I thought it'd be worth a shot. The lump lit quickly and held good heat. I liked using it better than Good-One lump and Cowboy lump for sure. Definitely worth a buy if you're looking for lump charcoal!

Did you pick that up at Menard's? It is about time for their yearly sale.

VA-Dave 04-03-2013 09:02 PM

I've been using RO Lump for about 6 months now and just for giggles I bought a 20 lb. bag of Cowboy. I have to say that I don't see a difference at all.

Just my personal experience.

Dave

DirtyChurro 04-03-2013 09:09 PM

I really like Royal Oak. It's what I learned to smoke with.

Pyrotech 04-03-2013 10:35 PM

I usedto used royal oak all the time, but last year made the sitch to B&B. I started finding too much garbage, almost a bad as cowboy.

I think i am going to see if i can convince the wife we need to buy a pallet of B&B lump, they are close enough i can borrow a friends trailer and drive down to pick up

mbshop 04-04-2013 12:19 AM

remember that k mart also carries it. but they carry the green bag which is just fine, basically the same thing.

Gulf Coast Blue 04-04-2013 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmag (Post 2434356)

What size and where?

gmag 04-04-2013 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyle's BBQ (Post 2434637)
Did you pick that up at Menard's? It is about time for their yearly sale.

Yes, it was Menards.

Gnaws on Pigs 04-04-2013 08:08 AM

I use the red bag for my kamado, and have had no complaints at all. After about ten bags, I have not found a single rock, piece of insulation, or other trash like I find in most of the other lumps. Mostly good-sized chunks of lump, very little square scrap lumber. I got a chunk nearly the size of a football in my last bag, actually had to break it up.

The red bag is made in America from American hardwoods, like oak, hickory, and such. the other color bags are made in other countries from tropical hardwoods. I prefer native wood, and American regulations on what can go into stuff over the third-world-produced stuff, myself.