The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Bake Bean Help (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157551)

Big George's BBQ 03-31-2013 11:57 AM

Bake Bean Help
 
I let dried Great Norhern Beans soak for over 10 hours I have had them on the grill for about 2 hours at 260 They are still crunchy What am I doing wrong

CharredApron 03-31-2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big George's BBQ (Post 2430271)
I let dried Great Norhern Beans soak for over 10 hours I have had them on the grill for about 2 hours at 260 They are still crunchy What am I doing wrong

What's in the pot with them. Your are making Wampus Recipe Right?

Big George's BBQ 03-31-2013 12:53 PM

yes Wampus Will be covering beans as they are a little crunchy

"Bone to Bark" BBQ 03-31-2013 12:58 PM

COVER them for sure, and bring temp up to 300+......

cliffcarter 03-31-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by "Bone to Bark" BBQ (Post 2430352)
COVER them for sure, and bring temp up to 300+......

^^^^^ that right there.

Big George's BBQ 03-31-2013 04:31 PM

stiil hard oven at 350 now

stl-rich 03-31-2013 06:36 PM

I never tried grilling the beans, I usually put them in a pot with water and some pulled pork. Putting them under some cooking ribs is really good too:-)

CharredApron 03-31-2013 07:09 PM

George, I learned my lesson the hardway. I entered a chili cook-off and wanted to use fresh beans, not something from a can. I soaked them over night and began to build my base. After simmering the ground chuck, onions, peppers and spices for nearly an hour I added the pre soaked beans and let them simmer for a couple of hours. Then i added the chopped tomatoes and cilantro and the rest of my ingredients and let them cook for 4 more hours. The beans were still crunchy, not all of them but more than 1/8th of them. I had another day to let them hold over in the fridge. The next morning I had to be at the cook-off at 11:00 A.M. I got up early, started my cauldron cooking again, 2 more hours and still crunchy beans. I was like......what the fark??????? are these beans old or something? So I ran to the modern encyclopedia ( Google) and discovered that when you add acid IE. Tomato based ingredients it retards the beans and they won't cook any further. I freaked, I moved my chili into a 3 gallon plastic container and put it in the Microwave in batches. The stuff was boiling like crazy and I thought, Ha..I have got it now, this sH$ts so hot now the beans have got to be cooked......wrong. I seriously wanted to pull a no show at the comp. I had spent over $100.00 in ingredients and the only prize was bragging rights. But, stubborn olde Jed had to go and show my face even if I knew my chit was crunchy. Maybe I could cull a couple of cups for the judges with cooked beans. Needless to say, I went, competed and lost, came in dead last.

Moral of the story.
Boil your beans separately until done then add to the mix. Pressure cooker works ideal, no pre-soak needed.

Sorry for the rant, and your obvious dilemma.
Jed

IamMadMan 04-01-2013 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hometruckin (Post 2430791)
George, I learned my lesson the hardway. I entered a chili cook-off and wanted to use fresh beans, not something from a can. I soaked them over night and began to build my base. After simmering the ground chuck, onions, peppers and spices for nearly an hour I added the pre soaked beans and let them simmer for a couple of hours. Then i added the chopped tomatoes and cilantro and the rest of my ingredients and let them cook for 4 more hours. The beans were still crunchy,

Moral of the story.
Boil your beans separately until done then add to the mix. Pressure cooker works ideal, no pre-soak needed.


Jed


Best advice Jed, the same also holds true for making soups with dried beans / peas.

kw 04-01-2013 07:47 AM

Cooking beans from scratch could be an entire forum on its own. I've been scratch making beans for almost 20 years now and am still learning.

CharredApron 04-01-2013 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IamMadMan (Post 2431231)
Best advice Jed, the same also holds true for making soups with dried beans / peas.

Hard lesson to learn for sure. When is the sweet corn hrvested in your area?

CharredApron 04-01-2013 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kw (Post 2431277)
Cooking beans from scratch could be an entire forum on its own. I've been scratch making beans for almost 20 years now and am still learning.

I love them anyway!

Big George's BBQ 04-01-2013 08:34 AM

Thanks for all of the advice Cooked them to death in the oven Total cook egg and oven 9 hrs. Beans were firm not crunchy The Baked Beans were cook but not nearly as good as the past two times I made Wampuis Baked Beans Will try the dried again but will do it differantly the next time

checkrd past 04-02-2013 10:15 AM

Thanks , your always learnin something

jestridge 04-02-2013 10:26 AM

pressure cooker the best way to cook beans, cook them than bake them.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.