The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   UDS Covers - more trouble than they are worth? (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156834)

grilling24x7 03-23-2013 09:30 AM

UDS Covers - more trouble than they are worth?
 
I bought a large gas grill cover for my UDS. I have a side table so I put the grill cover over it and tighten the sides with bungie cables.

I have 8 one inch holes as exhaust on top, which are covered with magnet strips to put out the fire.

In theory this is great. The cover looks nice (makes the wife happy) and there is rain protection.

The problem is that when I remove the cover (about once a week or so), the whole top of the smoker is covered with water and the sides are wet. My main concern is rust. I have high heat engine paint on the outside and top and I'm not seeing any rust yet, but I'm sure its only a matter of time.

I wonder if it would be better to just leave it sitting outside? At least then when the rain would stop the sun would dry it! The UDS is sitting on the deck, which is where I do my smoking. Otherwise I could put it in the shed when I'm done or something. But that's a hassle.

I'm not sure what to do.

John

HankB 03-23-2013 09:54 AM

Where is the water coming from? Is there moisture in the UDS when you put it on? Does the cover have seams that allow rain to come through? Does the cover reach the ground and allow moisture to migrate up from there?

colonel00 03-23-2013 09:56 AM

You might be restricting the air flow under the cover if you are tightening it down too much with the bungee cords.

Bludawg 03-23-2013 10:41 AM

I keep saying it buy a roll of Contractor grade HD SH!T can liners for 5.00 they fit nice even with a shelf, I just replaced the one on my UDS it lasted 3 yrs. I figure at this rate My grand kids will still be using the original roll long after I'm fertilizing the Garden.

grilling24x7 03-23-2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HankB (Post 2419280)
Where is the water coming from? Is there moisture in the UDS when you put it on? Does the cover have seams that allow rain to come through? Does the cover reach the ground and allow moisture to migrate up from there?

I'm guessing the moisture is migrating up from the ground. It's a sturdy cover and no rain can get through this.

grilling24x7 03-23-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colonel00 (Post 2419284)
You might be restricting the air flow under the cover if you are tightening it down too much with the bungee cords.

I think you are right. A less tight set up would allow the moisture to evaporate.

grilling24x7 03-23-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bludawg (Post 2419331)
I keep saying it buy a roll of Contractor grade HD SH!T can liners for 5.00 they fit nice even with a shelf, I just replaced the one on my UDS it lasted 3 yrs. I figure at this rate My grand kids will still be using the original roll long after I'm fertilizing the Garden.

I'm not sure I know what you are talking about? Trash can liners?

Please explain :-)

HeSmellsLikeSmoke 03-23-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grilling24x7 (Post 2419345)
I'm not sure I know what you are talking about? Trash can liners?

Please explain :-)

I speak conversational Texan so let me interpret for you. Plus, I've driven thru Jonesboro, TX at least a couple of dozen times.

Yes, the heavy duty contractor ones from Home Depot. :mrgreen:

J-Rod 03-23-2013 12:20 PM

If it's painted well I wouldn't worry about it, long as water isn't getting it thru your stack or lid that is.

retired trucker 03-23-2013 02:08 PM

I would say to leave the bottom loose so air can circulate. I cover mine with a smoker cover and leave the bottom loose. No moisture problem. Also are you covering it before it cools down completely?

AustinKnight 03-23-2013 03:33 PM

Re: UDS Covers - more trouble than they are worth?
 
Or you could go to home depot or lowes and in the bbq section there will be covers for barrel type smokers made by char griller and a generics brand I think they cost 7 buck's. But my lid has a flat lip, nothing gets in or out;-)

Sent from my SGH-T999


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.