The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Cast or stainless (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156773)

Mo-Dave 03-22-2013 11:06 AM

Cast or stainless
 
I went to give my gas grill its semi-annual clean up, and found the entire bottom plate under the burners was completely disintegrated, so time to find a new gas grill, I just don't want to mess with it.

While looking on line I found burners made of either stainless, or cast iron, and wonder if anyone could tell me if one holds up better than the other, or does a better job?

I have been searching Craigslist for a weber gasser, but have found nothing close enough to me. Also does anyone have any experience with the Beefeater grills? Thanks in advance.
Dave

SmokinSlowPoke 03-22-2013 11:32 AM

Depending on the quality of the SS burners, they SHOULD hold up much better than cast. That being said a cheap grill will use cheap componenets so you will have to use your judgement on the particular grill your looking at. Cast Iron isnt a bad product, but its more prone to rust/corrosion than stainless steel in almost every scenario.

bobaftt 03-22-2013 12:05 PM

wait for a weber. I have aquired several by being patient and it is ALWAYS worth it. My grandkids will probably cook on it, and I don't even have kids yet.

tish 03-22-2013 12:42 PM

Agree with bobafft. Definitely worth the wait. Mine is built like a tank, and the cooking and clean up is effortless. Go Weber, or go home. :thumb:

thirtydaZe 03-22-2013 12:44 PM

scrap the gasser all together!

tish 03-22-2013 12:46 PM

Gassers have their place, and I'm glad I have mine. Nothing better when you're in a screaming hurry, but still want to eat well. :grin:

Mark 03-22-2013 12:55 PM

I would like to know where I can get cast iron replacement burnes for gas grills. In my experience, the "stainless" burners are thin and a poor grade of stainless; because they rust out within about 3 years on average.

Mo-Dave 03-22-2013 12:56 PM

Yes I have to have a gasser, because I suck at time management. Many times I just do not have the time to start up a smoker, or even charcoal, never mind that the wife is very particular about what food I smoke and what I grill.
Dave

Mo-Dave 03-22-2013 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark (Post 2418091)
I would like to know where I can get cast iron replacement burnes for gas grills. In my experience, the "stainless" burners are thin and a poor grade of stainless; because they rust out within about 3 years on average.

I would just be concerned cast would not match up and work for your grill if it had stainless to start with.
Dave

HankB 03-22-2013 01:40 PM

Add my vote for a Weber gasser - the traditional ones. Continue to watch CL for some deals. There are a lot around here and who knows, you might even find someone giving one away. (I got a Genesis Silver B with upgraded SS grates and flavorizers and propane tank for free.)

Things to look for:
- Grate - porcelain coated steel is not overly durable. I much prefer SS or CI.
- Flavorizers - Weber makes SS and PC (porcelain coated) and PC is not durable.
- Warped fire box - likely result of a grease fire when unattended.
- rust through on the frame to the left side of the fire box. Seems to be a problem with some years. I've seen it on the first ones with the thermometer in the middle of the hood.
- some of the higher end models have a liner inside the hood which probably makes them a little more efficient.
- choose propane or natural gas. Regardless of what the seller says, Weber no longer sells conversion kits.
- check the crossover tube for the burners as that's the part that seems to fail first. I'm not sure if you can get that by itself of need to buy the entire set.
- If you get an older propane grill, be wary of the quick disconnect WRT getting replacement tanks or getting tanks filled. It is probably a good idea to check with a local propane dealer to see what the local situation is as it will be covered by state law. An old tank may not be so much a liability however as exchange places may exchange them regardless. (I took a couple old non-conforming tanks to Menards and pointed out the age and valves and lack of OPD and they shrugged and exchanged them anyway.)

Worn out 'wear items' such as grates and flavorizers are not necessarily a liability. You just need to know what the costs are going to be when you negotiate purchase price. And you get to choose better stuff like SS parts which will last you longer.

I have a Silver A (two burner) that's about 12 years with SS flavorizers and CI grate that is one of the most used grills in my arsenal. Even when I'm using charcoal, it's great to have handy for keeping food warm as it comes off the kettle (particularly when the cold winter winds blow!)

Or spend $$$ and buy a shiny new one, get the factory warranty and enjoy!

Mark 03-22-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mo-Dave (Post 2418098)
I would just be concerned cast would not match up and work for your grill if it had stainless to start with.
Dave

Yeah: I would be pleasantly suprised if anything other than cheap/thin stainles steel replacement burners was optional.

Mo-Dave 03-22-2013 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HankB (Post 2418140)
Add my vote for a Weber gasser - the traditional ones. Continue to watch CL for some deals. There are a lot around here and who knows, you might even find someone giving one away. (I got a Genesis Silver B with upgraded SS grates and flavorizers and propane tank for free.)

Things to look for:
- Grate - porcelain coated steel is not overly durable. I much prefer SS or CI.
- Flavorizers - Weber makes SS and PC (porcelain coated) and PC is not durable.
- Warped fire box - likely result of a grease fire when unattended.
- rust through on the frame to the left side of the fire box. Seems to be a problem with some years. I've seen it on the first ones with the thermometer in the middle of the hood.
- some of the higher end models have a liner inside the hood which probably makes them a little more efficient.
- choose propane or natural gas. Regardless of what the seller says, Weber no longer sells conversion kits.
- check the crossover tube for the burners as that's the part that seems to fail first. I'm not sure if you can get that by itself of need to buy the entire set.
- If you get an older propane grill, be wary of the quick disconnect WRT getting replacement tanks or getting tanks filled. It is probably a good idea to check with a local propane dealer to see what the local situation is as it will be covered by state law. An old tank may not be so much a liability however as exchange places may exchange them regardless. (I took a couple old non-conforming tanks to Menards and pointed out the age and valves and lack of OPD and they shrugged and exchanged them anyway.)

Worn out 'wear items' such as grates and flavorizers are not necessarily a liability. You just need to know what the costs are going to be when you negotiate purchase price. And you get to choose better stuff like SS parts which will last you longer.

I have a Silver A (two burner) that's about 12 years with SS flavorizers and CI grate that is one of the most used grills in my arsenal. Even when I'm using charcoal, it's great to have handy for keeping food warm as it comes off the kettle (particularly when the cold winter winds blow!)

Or spend $$$ and buy a shiny new one, get the factory warranty and enjoy!

Thanks, thats all good to know
Dave

oifmarine2003 03-22-2013 02:57 PM

Even cheap Stainless (200 or 400 series), which I am sure it is, will hold up better than cast.

Johnny_Crunch 03-22-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oifmarine2003 (Post 2418227)
Even cheap Stainless (200 or 400 series), which I am sure it is, will hold up better than cast.

Agreed! I have tried the cast replacements and they lasted less than a year.

Mo-Dave 03-22-2013 03:11 PM

Well I just came from Craigslist, low and behold I found a weber gasser. It was a very old man and he could not tell me much except it was a 3 burner, but sometimes only one burner would light. so it needs some work. I wont be able to look at it until tomorrow, my wife is out with the truck now. He gave me directions and he is only about 3 miles from me, he had to ask his wife what rd they lived on before he could do that, bless his hart, not sure what model, but he said it may be a silver, or genies not sure. Now if we don't get all the snow they say we are I may be good to go. Did I mention its free? :clap:
Dave


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.