The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Dangers Of Not Paying Attention (Not A Joke) (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156145)

K-JUN 03-14-2013 01:57 PM

Dangers Of Not Paying Attention (Not A Joke)
 
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...f/DSC01129.jpg
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...f/DSC01128.jpg

I am almost to embarrassed to post this but it's a good precautionary tale.

What you see my friends is what used to be an old bath towel. I am working on some jerky today. I put a small handful of chips into an electric smoker for about 30 min just to give it a kiss of smoke. When the chips were spent I took the chip pan out. I just grabbed the closest thing I saw an old towel that I used to wipe my hands earlier. No big deal it worked fine. My temp was fine so I went inside to do a couple things and when I came out this is what I saw. At first I was like what the frack is this. Then I realized it was the towel I had used. I am not sure if a tinny ember got caught in it or just the heat from the hot metal started it smoldering. But when I looked at it closer I could see it was still glowing. Needless to say I drug the chair out and sprayed it down with the hose. So now as my punishment for not paying attention I have a nice mess to deal with. Then when the wifey gets home I will have to tell her how I could have burned the house down.
I feel pretty stupid but I guess things could have been a lot worse.

JandJbuidasmoker 03-14-2013 01:59 PM

wow...tell her you testing the flux capaciter!

Seriously though...Glad that's the only thing!

Yendor 03-14-2013 02:00 PM

YIKES!!! Was the chair really that close to the house? You are lucky lucky! Gland nothing bad happened, one would not think twice about setting something hot on a towel, at least I wouldn't.

GrillsGoneWild 03-14-2013 02:01 PM

Blame the cat.

GrillsGoneWild 03-14-2013 02:03 PM

On a serious note, I'm on our volunteer Fire Department and I've seen some bad things due to someone taking their attention away from a heat source. Glad all it got was the towel.

landarc 03-14-2013 02:04 PM

It can happen, but, since nobody was hurt, the chair is okay and all, she can only be mad for a little bit.

K-JUN 03-14-2013 02:06 PM

I just hope she likes the jerky.

gtr 03-14-2013 02:06 PM

Thanks for posting - always good to remember we are playing with fire, which can burn stuff. It's necessary to always have a fire extinguisher - handy and fully charged - nearby. Always.

Bamabuzzard 03-14-2013 02:06 PM

Hey, don't feel bad because we've all done some "stupid" things when playing with fire. Lord knows I have. THANK YOU for the friendly reminder that no matter how experienced we get as bbq'ers. We can still mess up.

Let's see I've burnt a hole in our nice deck. I've caught the entire inside of my smoker on fire. It looked like an old testament sacrificial offering by the time it was done. I've caught my privacy fence on fire and almost had my neighbor not only call the fire department but the PO-lice. But a few smoked rib plates and pulled pork took care of that. :biggrin1:

Good post.



Quote:

Originally Posted by onexchef (Post 2407274)
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...f/DSC01129.jpg
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...f/DSC01128.jpg

I am almost to embarrassed to post this but it's a good precautionary tale.

What you see my friends is what used to be an old bath towel. I am working on some jerky today. I put a small handful of chips into an electric smoker for about 30 min just to give it a kiss of smoke. When the chips were spent I took the chip pan out. I just grabbed the closest thing I saw an old towel that I used to wipe my hands earlier. No big deal it worked fine. My temp was fine so I went inside to do a couple things and when I came out this is what I saw. At first I was like what the frack is this. Then I realized it was the towel I had used. I am not sure if a tinny ember got caught in it or just the heat from the hot metal started it smoldering. But when I looked at it closer I could see it was still glowing. Needless to say I drug the chair out and sprayed it down with the hose. So now as my punishment for not paying attention I have a nice mess to deal with. Then when the wifey gets home I will have to tell her how I could have burned the house down.
I feel pretty stupid but I guess things could have been a lot worse.


Smokin Patriots 03-14-2013 02:06 PM

Glad you are ok. Thats the important thing

K-JUN 03-14-2013 02:08 PM

I'm just thinking if I had brought the towel inside and tossed it the laundry basket it might have been a much more serious issue.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke 03-14-2013 02:10 PM

Thanks for the refresher course.

bigabyte 03-14-2013 02:11 PM

Always good to hear a happy ending when it comes to these sorta things.

K-JUN 03-14-2013 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard (Post 2407289)
Hey, don't feel bad because we've all done some "stupid" things when playing with fire. Lord knows I have. THANK YOU for the friendly reminder that no matter how experienced we get as bbq'ers. We can still mess up.

Let's see I've burnt a hole in our nice deck. I've caught the entire inside of my smoker on fire. It looked like an old testament sacrificial offering by the time it was done. I've caught my privacy fence on fire and almost had my neighbor not only call the fire department but the PO-lice. But a few smoked rib plates and pulled pork took care of that. :biggrin1:

Good post.

Holy crap man you do have some track record.

Bamabuzzard 03-14-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onexchef (Post 2407301)
Holy crap man you do have some track record.

LOL!!! Yeah, I guess so. Granted all of this was done over a ten year period. But nonetheless I've dun-did sum stupid things wif fire!!! :shock:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.