The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Corned Beef (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155636)

LukeRoz 03-08-2013 03:38 PM

Corned Beef
 
I am planning on smoking some corned beef for breakfast on St. Patty's day before the festivities begin. Just wondering whats the easiest way to make this on a UDS....

Any advice would be appreciated!

beercuer 03-08-2013 04:35 PM

Hi Luke! What you are intending to do is often referred to as making a "mock" or "faux" pastrami, and it is a real treat. The most important thing to do first thing is de-brine the beef in cold water in your fridge for at least 24 hous. Dry cooking or smoking can very well lead to an overly briny taste. Also, you do not need to take the temperature up beyond 160 like you would a brisket, as the curing of that corned beef removes that necessity. The temp at which you smoke it is up to you. Most folk probably would opt for about 250 degrees. To give it even more of a sense of pastrami, you can load the outside of the meat with plenty of coarse ground pepper. Well, that's a start anyway... Have fun!

Titch 03-08-2013 05:12 PM

Way I do it
As mentioned rinse the Brine/cure away,I only rinse for a few hours,maybe our cures are different.
Rub with pepper ,place in a bag with a 1/2 cup of Maple Syrup.
Overnight/24 hour in fridge.
Cook on low to 62c/145f using as much smoke as you like.
Wrap in foil and sit for an hour.
Sometimes I do this on a bed of cabbage and onion for the last 2 hours
The maple sweetens up the cabbage ike you would not believe

Ron_L 03-08-2013 05:19 PM

Here's Brother Thirdeye's pastrami recipe...

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogs...-pastrami.html

beercuer 03-08-2013 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AussieTitch (Post 2398923)
Way I do it
As mentioned rinse the Brine/cure away,I only rinse for a few hours,maybe our cures are different.
Rub with pepper ,place in a bag with a 1/2 cup of Maple Syrup.
Overnight/24 hour in fridge.
Cook on low to 62c/145f using as much smoke as you like.
Wrap in foil and sit for an hour.
Sometimes I do this on a bed of cabbage and onion for the last 2 hours
The maple sweetens up the cabbage ike you would not believe

Titch, I like your idea with the maple syrup! I usually have slathered with yellow mustard to hold the pepper. Must give that a try.

chicagokp 03-08-2013 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron_L (Post 2398929)
Here's Brother Thirdeye's pastrami recipe...

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogs...-pastrami.html


^^^ Thirdeye's recipe is the bomb...

SmokyWoodturner 03-09-2013 07:33 AM

That's my St Paddys Day cook!!! Great idea

LukeRoz 03-11-2013 01:31 PM

thanks for all the suggestions....this sounds terrific!

LukeRoz 03-11-2013 01:38 PM

one more quick question....how much corned beef per person?....there will be plenty of beer but also plenty of other food around....im estimating maybe 10 people...

Thanks

Ron_L 03-11-2013 03:31 PM

1/2 lb cooked per person is generous and would most likely give you leftovers. Figure 50% yield and buy twice as much raw and you'll be more than safe.

LukeRoz 03-15-2013 04:08 PM

Quick question...im having friends over in the morning (think between 8-10)...i want to have this ready by 9...can i make it the night before then wrap/rest in preheated cooler until morning (7-8)??

HeSmellsLikeSmoke 03-15-2013 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LukeRoz (Post 2408815)
Quick question...im having friends over in the morning (think between 8-10)...i want to have this ready by 9...can i make it the night before then wrap/rest in preheated cooler until morning (7-8)??

Too long in the cooler to be safe or warm. Cool it down quickly, refrigerate and then steam it for a couple of hours in the morning.

captndan 03-16-2013 08:37 AM

Didja know that corned beef and cabbage is an American thing ? In Ireland the traditional meal for St. Patrick's day is bacon and cabbage.

HankB 03-16-2013 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captndan (Post 2409628)
Didja know that corned beef and cabbage is an American thing ? In Ireland the traditional meal for St. Patrick's day is bacon and cabbage.

I did not know that.

How is it prepared?

txschutte 03-16-2013 11:41 AM

Thirdeye's recipe is awesome!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.