The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Grilling fish, vegetables and food that falls through the grate (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155097)

Churrasqueiro Bob 03-01-2013 10:33 PM

Grilling fish, vegetables and food that falls through the grate

What do you guys use for grilling fish, vegetables, potato slices etc so that they don't fall through the grate into the fire? I usually end up making a sacrifice or two to the fire gods and I'd like to hear how everyone else does it. I really don't want to grill the fish on foil or wrap the veggies in foil. I have used a piece of mesh screen successfully, but they are of cheap quality. I think I bought a pack of them at WalMart. I'd even consider making some expanded metal grates for my Performer and Jumbo Joe. Talk to me. :mrgreen:

flyingbassman5 03-01-2013 11:09 PM

Cedar planks for all of the above, especially fish.

Harbormaster 03-01-2013 11:45 PM

Grilling fish, vegetables and food that falls through the grate

Cast iron pan on the grill is what I use.

You don't really get the same effects of grilling, but you get good smoke flavor.

beercuer 03-02-2013 01:01 AM

The above ideas are marvelous. Something else that works quite well and is rather economical is a GraniteWare pizza pan--light weight, heats quickly, easy cleanup, handles readily. You also might find an alternative you like by visiting the bbq section of your local Lowes or Home Depot if available.

mbshop 03-02-2013 02:19 AM

there are screens made for this. also ones that fold over for veggies. as far as fish i just do it direct on the grate as you shouldn't be messing with them anyway.

buccaneer 03-02-2013 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Churrasqueiro Bob (Post 2389805)
What do you guys use for grilling fish, vegetables, potato slices etc so that they don't fall through the grate into the fire? I usually end up making a sacrifice or two to the fire gods and I'd like to hear how everyone else does it. I really don't want to grill the fish on foil or wrap the veggies in foil. I have used a piece of mesh screen successfully, but they are of cheap quality. I think I bought a pack of them at WalMart. I'd even consider making some expanded metal grates for my Performer and Jumbo Joe. Talk to me. :mrgreen:

I often use oiled foil for fish, I use a stainless steel basket with slots for vegetables if they are cut up, of grates direct if large.
I've never had a problem at all.
Oh, I use the basket or foil option for filets of fish too.
Hope this helps.
Baskets purchased from weber.

benniesdad 03-02-2013 03:53 AM

I really try my best to try to grill directly on the grate when at all possible by just taking my time with sizes of items and placement on the grates. One good tip I picked up from Steven Raichlen for grilling fish is to always turn it over on to a clean part of the grate. This has really helped.

Sometimes, when doing veggies in particular things are just too small or too difficult to place. Depending on the items, I use either my Weber or . I normally use the grill pan on my gasser and the vegetable basket on the Performer. Down side is they both take up a lot of room. In the case of the Performer it takes up the entire space. I had the opportunity to pick up a Q100 grill off CL for $25. The grate on it makes it ideal of grilling vegetables.

Skidder 03-02-2013 05:46 AM

cast iron foil with holes poked in it....but I'm cheap!

Garyclaw 03-02-2013 07:50 AM

I use a grilling basket. It hinges open and has a handle.

deepsouth 03-02-2013 07:51 AM

i just try to use placement to keep it from falling through and whatever does slip through, a sacrifice.

Boshizzle 03-02-2013 07:58 AM

I grill veggies whole then chop/slice them after they are done.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/pi...pictureid=2481

Big George's BBQ 03-02-2013 08:05 AM

If cooking indirect frogmats. Cedar planks are great as are salt blocks. You can also get a good quality screen

Hankdad1 03-02-2013 08:55 AM

I use something similar to this:

Ron_L 03-02-2013 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skidder (Post 2389965)
cast iron foil with holes poked in it....but I'm cheap!

Where do you get cast iron foil? :confused:

I use a piece of oiled foil for fish and either grill veggies whole or use a Weber stainless basket.

J-Rod 03-02-2013 09:33 AM

I use something similar to this- http://www.webstaurantstore.com/crow...FUhV4AodLyUAFg