I was in my local BBQ shop and seen what is called a black olive. It looks like a green egg but it runs on pellets. Anyone here have one they seem well built.
Have fun and happy smoking
I've cooked on one a few times. It is indeed a pellet-fired, single-grill surface kamado cooker very much like a BGE. It's so simple to use my wife who is intimidated by charcoal grills used and loved it. She christened the Black Olive the wood-fired grill for people like her who only use gas grills.
Here are my thoughts...
- Easy to start, easy to use. Fill the hopper with pellets, turn a dial and your cooking in a few minutes. No charcoal to load and light.
- Quickly went from 0 to 225 to 500+ Great for a reverse sear.
- Good smoke flavor
- Fairly easy to clean up.
- Non-digital temp control makes tuning in specific temps difficult (I understand a digital thermostat has been added to the newer models correcting this con)
- HEAVY! It took all two of us had just to load in on/off a simple utility trailer.
- Limited grill space.
- Cost. I believe the retail price is almost double that of an equivalent BGE.
Overall, I loved using this cooker but given the portability issues and small grill space for the dollar, it's a difficult purchase to justify. If newer models do indeed add a digital thermostat and lower the price-point this would be a great substitute for a propane grill or for someone who wants that charcoal/wood flavor without the 'hassle' using charcoal brings.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:42 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.