The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Brethren Road Trips (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Surprise in Minnetonka, MN (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154443)

pbj 02-21-2013 10:37 PM

Surprise in Minnetonka, MN

I had the most pleasant surprise today. I had a meeting this afternoon held at a local sandwich shop. Hams Sandwich Shop at 14200-P Wayzata Blvd,
Minnetonka, Minnesota. I walked in to a delightful smoke aroma. I looked at the menu and saw a Texas Brisket sandwich and figured that would be the best indicator of what the BBQ was like. Heaven, nice smoke ring, pull apart tender with what was described as spicy sauce on the side. The brisket is smoked on site in what I was told was a Traeger pellet smoker, but didn't look like any I've seen. I asked to see it. It was 24"x24"x30"high (estimate) with a black finish. They also have pastrami on the menu which I will try when I go back.
Curly

HeSmellsLikeSmoke 02-21-2013 10:45 PM

That sure is a great find. So far, I've found nothing noteworthy like that around these parts.

charrederhead 02-21-2013 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke (Post 2378142)
That sure is a great find. So far, I've found nothing noteworthy like that around these parts.

Yeah, but you've got Heady Topper!

Hankdad1 02-21-2013 11:15 PM

Ah heck, you guys on the west side always get the best chit!:razz:

dkryzer 02-22-2013 11:25 AM

Thanks for sharing the info. Might have to check that place out.

PigTamer 02-22-2013 11:56 AM

In town nextweek for a meeting...I will check them out. Thanks for the heads up.

bbq.tom 02-22-2013 02:14 PM

A co-worker of mine HIGHLY recommends "Lone Spur Grill and Bar" in Minnetonka. Any comments or reviews of this Q-joint???

cricky101 02-22-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hankdad1 (Post 2378182)
Ah heck, you guys on the west side always get the best chit!:razz:

I used to stop at Pastor Hamilton's BBQ in St. Paul once in a while on the way home from work and pick up some goodies. Not bad!

pbj 02-22-2013 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbq.tom (Post 2378866)
A co-worker of mine HIGHLY recommends "Lone Spur Grill and Bar" in Minnetonka. Any comments or reviews of this Q-joint???

I wasn't aware that Lone Spur was a BBQ place. It's 2 miles north of my place.
As a side note, Lone Spur used to be Lone Star. Some other place has a copyright on the name, so they had to change it. Good selection of beer there.
Curly

TTNuge 02-22-2013 05:18 PM

Dang, my kid used to have music lessons right there when Schmidt's was next door. Never went there, ended up at Jimmy Johns instead. Now ya tell me!

pbj 02-23-2013 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TTNuge (Post 2379112)
Dang, my kid used to have music lessons right there when Schmidt's was next door. Never went there, ended up at Jimmy Johns instead. Now ya tell me!

It started out as the Spiral Cut Ham store with a small sandwich shop in it. The sandwich shop made more money than the hams did, so they put more emphasis on that. I went back for lunch yesterday to try the pastrami (also smoked on site) and was not disappointed. Mrs. Curly loved the brisket sandwich and MIL had the brisket/pastrami sandwich. They talked about how good it was all the way home.
Curly

CBQ 02-23-2013 04:31 PM

As discussed in another thread, Baker's Ribs is pretty good. Some have reported excessive microwaving there, but at least when I went the brisket and ribs were quite good.

pbj 02-24-2013 12:17 PM

My only experience at Baker's was not a good one. Ribs were over done and cold, brisket was thin and tough. There is a place in Champlain that I've heard was good. I think it is QFanatic.