The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Catering, Food Handling and Awareness (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   BBQ Food Truck questions (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154249)

GrillsGoneWild 02-19-2013 03:53 PM

BBQ Food Truck questions

What smokers are good to place into a Food Truck? Do most BBQ Food Truck smoke their meat somewhere and just place in warmers in their truck to sell that day or do they smoke all day?

FLAQUE 02-19-2013 11:45 PM

I've seen quite a few different smokers on food trucks, stickburners, gas and electric. It all depends on personal preference. I think most food trucks smoke on the meat on the truck, better quality that way and nothing sells BBQ better than the smell of smoke!

BigBellyBBQ 02-20-2013 09:50 AM

Southern Pride 700

themidniteryder 02-20-2013 11:49 AM

Part of it depends on what your health dept will allow. I think Big Belly is right, a SP just seems to fit the bill for a truck.

Pyle's BBQ 02-20-2013 03:20 PM

BBQ Food Truck questions

I've been eyeing a J&R Mfg Little Red Smokehouse. I'll posts link later. This is a completely wood fired oven/smoker. The problem is, it weighs 2200#. :(

Motley Q 02-20-2013 04:59 PM

A restaurant trick...

No smoking necessary.

Dust some ribs, put in a pan with liquid smoke, cover, and place in an oven.

Finish on a grill if they have one.

Probably most on this site has eaten ribs prepared this way but not know it.

smokeitupbbq 02-21-2013 01:56 AM

Please serve your meat this way, so I know where to never eat BBQ from.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motley Q (Post 2376254)
A restaurant trick...

No smoking necessary.

Motley Q 02-21-2013 10:59 AM

@smokethis

Ever eaten ribs at chilis, fridays, longhorn, roadhouse, o'charleys, applebees, ruby tuesday, etc??

Then you've eaten ribs prepared this way.:loco::loco:

surprissssse, surprisssse

BigBellyBBQ 02-21-2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

A restaurant trick...

No smoking necessary.

be sure to boil them to get tender, the motley way..

BigBellyBBQ 02-21-2013 11:17 AM

yes, bryan is correct on the weight, our sp 500 weighs about 1,400..the 700 about 1,800....Donies sp 350 about 1,100 and I am guesing ole hickory is the same..However a great rotisierie, wood / propane fired and produces great real BBQ...Use as a holding oven, prep oven etc..other ovens are good also, just have to figure what fits your set up and talk to owners and visit before buying..

BigBellyBBQ 02-21-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrillsGoneWild (Post 2374798)
What smokers are good to place into a Food Truck? Do most BBQ Food Truck smoke their meat somewhere and just place in warmers in their truck to sell that day or do they smoke all day?

also remember the smoke and pulling the meat out of the smoker is part of the show..

BB-Kuhn 02-21-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

A restaurant trick...

No smoking necessary.

BullS*$# - I highly doubt that most members here wouldn't be able to tell after the first bite or two.

BB-Kuhn 02-21-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motley Q (Post 2377139)
@smokethis

Ever eaten ribs at chilis, fridays, longhorn, roadhouse, o'charleys, applebees, ruby tuesday, etc??

Then you've eaten ribs prepared this way.:loco::loco:

surprissssse, surprisssse

Those are all terrible. Your point has not been made.

Iso 02-21-2013 01:17 PM

Check with your local Health District/Department BEFORE you purchase the smoker. We have a HD in this state that will not ever approve a tow behind smoker for any mobile food vendor in their County.

C Rocke 02-21-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrillsGoneWild (Post 2374798)

We have 2 trucks out here in LA and Orange County - Happy to share what we know. PM me with a phone number and I will give you a call. Best of luck!