The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Spares and Baby backs tomorrow...quick question (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153922)

Noob 02-15-2013 02:48 PM

Spares and Baby backs tomorrow...quick question
 
So i trimmed, spiced & removed membrane on 2 racks of spares (tried to trim to st louis style) and 4 racks of baby backs.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ps76800a11.jpg

Last weekend i did 1 rack of spares and 2 racks of beef. Did a 4-2-1 on the beefs and 3-2-1 on the spare ribs.

Tomorrow i will be doing the 3-2-1 on the spares, but what is the ideal cooking time for baby backs so they are tender and kick Tony Roma's arse?

Also, i dont spritz nor mop, but what can i put in my foil to help keep juicy?

I plan on basting with bbq sauce at 5.5 hrs til done.

Ron_L 02-15-2013 02:56 PM

The correct answer is as long as it takes :)

It depends on the temp you re cooking at and how big the racks are. here is what works for me, but YMMV...

Baby Backs (2.5 - 3 lbs per rack) - 270-ish, 2.5-1.5-glaze

St. Louis trimmed spares - 270-ish, 2.5-1.5-30-glaze

But, every rack is different, so those are approximate. Use either a toothpick between the bones or the bend test for see when they are done. The toothpick should slide in with no resistance. For the bend test if you pick up a rack from one end it should bend easily to about 90 degrees and the bark will start to crack. There is a great picture around here somewhere of that. I think Northwestbbq posted it.

BTW, it looks like you didn't trim enough to be St. Louis trimmed. The best way is to get the rack straight and find the longest bon and trim straight across at the top of that bone.

BobM 02-15-2013 02:59 PM

I cook pork ribs at 275F.
Spares 2 1/2 hours unfoiled, then 1 1/2 hours foiled or until toothpick tender.
Baby backs 2 hours unfoiled, then 1 hour foiled or until toothpick tender.
I put squeeze butter, honey and brown sugar in the foil.
I don't sauce my ribs. I brush the juices from the foil on them and put on a bit of my rub.

Noob 02-15-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron_L (Post 2369385)
The correct answer is as long as it takes :)

It depends on the temp you re cooking at and how big the racks are. here is what works for me, but YMMV...

Baby Backs (2.5 - 3 lbs per rack) - 270-ish, 2.5-1.5-glaze

St. Louis trimmed spares - 270-ish, 2.5-1.5-30-glaze

But, every rack is different, so those are approximate. Use either a toothpick between the bones or the bend test for see when they are done. The toothpick should slide in with no resistance. For the bend test if you pick up a rack from one end it should bend easily to about 90 degrees and the bark will start to crack. There is a great picture around here somewhere of that. I think Northwestbbq posted it.

BTW, it looks like you didn't trim enough to be St. Louis trimmed. The best way is to get the rack straight and find the longest bon and trim straight across at the top of that bone.

My last cook and where my offset likes to be is 240. But i let it ride til 250 then close the intake til 235-240.

And i also figured i didnt cut enough as they seemed wide for true st louis but they look nice squared off

Bludawg 02-15-2013 03:10 PM

Bump your pit to min 275 on the grate no foil 3-4 hrs until bend test passed, done! Tender & juicy pig pops.

Motley Q 02-15-2013 03:24 PM

what can u put in the foil?

answer: apple juice

Freddy j 02-15-2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bludawg (Post 2369400)
Bump your pit to min 275 on the grate no foil 3-4 hrs until bend test passed, done! Tender & juicy pig pops.


I've tried many different ways but this way has always given me the best results and is easiest!

1911Ron 02-15-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bludawg (Post 2369400)
Bump your pit to min 275 on the grate no foil 3-4 hrs until bend test passed, done! Tender & juicy pig pops.

Yep this is my current trend and working on perfecting it (not bad but could improve) :biggrin1:

gigantor 02-15-2013 03:51 PM

Apple juice mixed w/ the meat drippings.

Noob 02-15-2013 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gigantor (Post 2369442)
Apple juice mixed w/ the meat drippings.

apple juice seems to be popular. Do i mist it on the rib or pour it on the foil?

ToddM 02-15-2013 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bludawg (Post 2369400)
Bump your pit to min 275 on the grate no foil 3-4 hrs until bend test passed, done! Tender & juicy pig pops.

That's the ticket. I did untrimmed spares last weekend with simple Santa Maria seasoning cooked in this manner. Made me think, why do we trim spares? The results were delicious. The only thing I did was remove the membrane but I may skip that step next time just to see the results.

GrillsGoneWild 02-15-2013 05:06 PM

Noob - With your cooking temps go with 2-2-1 on the babybacks.
Just pour a little apple juice in the foil before wrapping.

Noob 02-15-2013 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrillsGoneWild (Post 2369527)
Noob - With your cooking temps go with 2-2-1 on the babybacks.
Just pour a little apple juice in the foil before wrapping.




Thanks. I do enjoy reading everyone's suggestions but raising the temp 25-30 more than what i am used to was starting to get me nervous.

So i'll throw the spares in and after an hour ill throw the baby backs.


Quick question..do cooking times change if you have just 1-3 racks or in this case ima have 6

Bludawg 02-15-2013 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noob (Post 2369530)
Thanks. I do enjoy reading everyone's suggestions but raising the temp 25-30 more than what i am used to was starting to get me nervous.

So i'll throw the spares in and after an hour ill throw the baby backs.


Quick question..do cooking times change if you have just 1-3 racks or in this case ima have 6

Short answer.. NO! Don't cook by time!!! Listen to the meat it will tell you all you need. When they pass the bed test they're done,

GrillsGoneWild 02-15-2013 05:28 PM

Having 6 racks on at the same time may lengthen the time for the cook. Make sure they have space for the smoke/heat to get around each of them, so try not to have them touching. Perform the bend test on each rack before taking them out of the smoker. Pick up 1/4 end of a rack and if the rest of the rack bends like it is about to break or go 90 degrees you are done.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.