The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Have I been a hot fast guy all along? (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153551)

Beast Drinker 02-10-2013 02:51 PM

Have I been a hot fast guy all along?

Now that I've done enough research to know that there actually is such a thing as hot and fast and low and slow, and that depending on who you ask, they both work just fine.

Case in point, MOST of my Q experience is actually using a kettle, I've owned the first one I bought for 10 years and , I love the WSM, but I accidentally did a hot fast cook a couple weeks ago, when I way overthought the cook and planned for blustery weather and fighting the wind to keep it warm enough Didn't happen. The Brisket wasn't what I planned on it being didn't have any leftovers though. But the more and more I think about it I prefer my bones when I cook them indirect on the kettle, I can turn out a nice butt on the kettle, turkey... whatever. at Higher than the low and slow WSM temps. I think I'm gonna start trying some new things with the WSM, like running Popdaddy's minimum of 270 temp... Chuckie and beans in NOW.... Lemme see if I can run with this. Funny how sometimes you need somebody else to remind you that you already know how to do something.

Bludawg 02-10-2013 02:54 PM

Glad you finally woke up:wink:

Beast Drinker 02-10-2013 05:23 PM

So what's the key to hot and fast with a bullet? No water, foil the pan, or NO pan?

Bludawg 02-10-2013 05:31 PM

Never cooked on WSM but a few decades a go in the ECB days I would run a dry foiled water pan or and or 2-3 " of "NEW" cat litter( cheap Dollar store) foiled over to run up the temps.

Beast Drinker 02-10-2013 05:38 PM

THE ONLY thing I don't like about the cooker is, EVERYBODY says they run HOT, I've never experienced that. I'd rather it did. Maybe a trip to the Virtual Weber bullet is in order. I got to be honest I like stuff from the WSM, but really, the kettle does me just fine most of the time. I don't get to Q for 20 people every weekend, I move too much for that. I mean I could have done my cook tonight WAY faster in the kettle with LESS fuel. Apparently I didn't have enough charcoal for anything other than low and slow in that thing. Started off nice though.

Bluesman 02-10-2013 05:41 PM

I run my WSM with a foiled water pan, and minion method. 275* tops in the summer and 250* in the winter. When I want HnF I go to the drum...........300*-350* No problem.

Beast Drinker 02-10-2013 05:54 PM

Might be time to add a weapon to my arsenal.

HnF is really what I do best.

fil 02-10-2013 06:29 PM

I can get mine to run at 325- 350 in the spring- summer- fall. I use playsand in the water pan, open all of the vents and put a small chip of wood under the lip if the dome.
Makes GREAT chicken!

fil

Beast Drinker 02-10-2013 06:35 PM

IMO there's no way I couldn't run a WSM hot, Maybe I'm looking for an excuse to buy a 26" kettle. The WSM was my Fathers Day present a couple years back, so it isn't for sale. I just got to figure it out and I'm sure my answer is out there.