The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Seasoning a PBC (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153392)

Friscoag 02-08-2013 01:14 PM

Seasoning a PBC

My PBC will be delivered tomorrow. Is there any seasoning I need to do before my first cook? If so what do you suggest?

rwalters 02-08-2013 01:19 PM

None!! Zip, zilch, nada ;-) You can be cooking in the thing within 30 minutes of receiving it if you want. Get ready, your gonna be blown away by its ease and YUM factor!!

Ron_L 02-08-2013 01:20 PM

I asked Noah and he said it wasn't needed, but I still sprayed mine down with Pam before the first cook.

BobBrisket 02-08-2013 01:21 PM

All I did was wipe down the inside of drum and lid with a rag lightly oiled with Canola oil. Some have sprayed it down with PAM. After that, just cook something in it and let the fats do the rest.

flyingbassman5 02-08-2013 01:46 PM

IMHO the best way to season it is to cook a fat pork butt on it and let the natural fat and juices do the seasoning. I got mine and fired it up with a bunch of brats and chicken thighs and then the next cook was ribs and a pork shoulder. She has a nice dark tan inside going on now!

Friscoag 02-08-2013 01:54 PM

I'm doing some chicken's first. I have some high hopes on the chicken. I can't see changing my briskets or pork butt from my Egg.

Freddy j 02-08-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron_L (Post 2359468)
I still sprayed mine down with Pam before the first cook.

I've done this with all of my grills and smokers. Great advice.

rwalters 02-08-2013 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Friscoag (Post 2359499)
I'm doing some chicken's first. I have some high hopes on the chicken. I can't see changing my briskets or pork butt from my Egg.

Please let us know what you think of the chicken! I have not had chicken from a BGE...heard its great, but cannot imagine it being better than PBC chicken. Maybe equal?? Super curious to hear though.

awscwi 02-08-2013 06:37 PM

Got Eight chicken halves on mine now, There gonna be goooood!

awscwi 02-08-2013 06:43 PM

I've got a large BGE and it is GREAT.....but the PBC is easier to cook four chickens on. The taste is very close with the BGE getting the slight edge.
PBC is 1/3 to 1/4 the cost of the BGE, so you have to factor that in.

If the BGE broke tomorrow, i would have another one tomorrow night :mrgreen:.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwalters (Post 2359662)
Please let us know what you think of the chicken! I have not had chicken from a BGE...heard its great, but cannot imagine it being better than PBC chicken. Maybe equal?? Super curious to hear though.