The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   My home made baffle (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153320)

BayoustateBBQ 02-07-2013 11:54 AM

My home made baffle

I have a Oklahoma Joe longhorn. Although I know the sweet spot in the pit i decided to just go ahead and try to get even temps. I was getting 50-75 degree difference between the chimney side and firebox side. Sometime next to the fire box I was reading temps of 400+ degrees.
I had some 12"x36"x 18 gauge sheets in my shop so here is what I did.
I have the 20" version I took 2 sheets and overlapped them and tack welded the seams on both sides. Added a 45 degree angle, and painted it with high temp paint. It fits like a glove and the length is about half my smoker. Not sure yet if I will have to shorten it and add tuning plates. My ET 732 is arriving today so we will see what difference it makes.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/pi...pictureid=6980

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/pi...pictureid=6983

cholloway 02-07-2013 11:59 AM

That oughta work. I don't think I would have painted it though.

Southstar Jeff 02-07-2013 12:00 PM

You do NOT want paint inside your pit, so that needs to come off.

I think you will find that you need some holes so you can some smoke and heat on that side .

BayoustateBBQ 02-07-2013 12:06 PM

Well hell I'll try to get the paint off. Thanks for pointing that out. I figured after a few dry runs anything in the paint will be gone.
You really think it needs to come off? My smoker is powder coated but those cheap offsets are painted inside.

J-Rod 02-07-2013 12:06 PM

Painted?!?!

BayoustateBBQ 02-07-2013 12:11 PM

well with the thin metal, high heat, humidity etc will probably rust it or weaken the metal pretty quick. Don't forget high temp paint will extend the life of the surface.

J-Rod 02-07-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BayoustateBBQ (Post 2358183)
well with the thin metal, high heat, humidity etc will probably rust it or weaken the metal pretty quick. Don't forget high temp paint will extend the life of the surface.

I'd rather throw it away after a couple years than eat paint chemicals, but that's just me.

ButtBurner 02-07-2013 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Rod (Post 2358186)
I'd rather throw it away after a couple years than eat paint chemicals, but that's just me.

I agree. That paint isnt going to extend the life of the baffle, it will be in your lungs before the baffle dies

I am making one now for my OK Joe. I am using 1/4 plate and making tuning plates out of it

BayoustateBBQ 02-07-2013 01:12 PM

I'm just going to have to agree to disagree with y'all. I think anything bad will burn off and dissipate after the several dry runs. You talk about bad chems from it, how many of you reheat your resturant to go boxes in your microwave. Heating that is bad, how many of you cook in aluminum pans? You do know what comes from heating that right?

ButtBurner 02-07-2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BayoustateBBQ (Post 2358260)
I'm just going to have to agree to disagree with y'all. I think anything bad will burn off and dissipate after the several dry runs. You talk about bad chems from it, how many of you reheat your resturant to go boxes in your microwave. Heating that is bad, how many of you cook in aluminum pans? You do know what comes from heating that right?

I dont do either of those.

J-Rod 02-07-2013 02:34 PM

Fair enough. We're only concerned for your safety and that of anyone who eats food cooked on your smoker.

Perhaps as a survey of sorts, ask some of the competition/professional pitmasters here about painting any internal part on a smoker and see what they say.

J-Rod 02-07-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BayoustateBBQ (Post 2358260)

Negative to both of those. That's just common sense.

ButtBurner 02-07-2013 03:00 PM

3 Attachment(s)
this is how mine is shaping up so far. I need to get the welder out yet.

caliking 02-07-2013 04:09 PM

Spraying your pantry with insecticide probably won't kill you, but is generally not a good idea. Paint on the inside of your cooker is probably kinda like that. Unless the paint burns off during the seasoning cooks, and then you don't have to worry about it anyways.

The brethren have kept me from doing a number of unwise things since I joined a couple of years ago.

BayoustateBBQ 02-07-2013 05:00 PM

Ok paint came off easy in the sandblaster (note to self). Just not sure how long mine needs to be until i start taking temps. dual probe thermo came in today so we will see. ButtBurner is that 1/4"? Looking good