The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   uds upgrade idea (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153262)

pal251 02-06-2013 11:02 AM

uds upgrade idea
 
I am going to make some shelves on my UDS today out of expanded metal and angle iron. I plan on making it a hinge type system with a couple pins that I can put into it and remove the shelf entirely or just lower it..

Another idea I have thought of instead of a ash basket why doesnt someone just cut a hole in the bottom and put a pipe nipple on the bottom base of the drum and push the ashes through that into a bucket or pan. I already have my uds off of the ground with the foot I welded onto it and I can just cover it with a pipe nipple when the UDS is in use. It also would allow water to drain out of it when I wash it.

Just an idea

hamiltont 02-06-2013 11:15 AM

As far as ash goes I had a similar concern when I built mine so I went this route. A little more work to build but clean up is a snap...

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/...2/DSCN2876.jpg

pal251 02-06-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hamiltont (Post 2356914)
As far as ash goes I had a similar concern when I built mine so I went this route. A little more work to build but clean up is a snap...

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/...2/DSCN2876.jpg

Amazinlgy I just got done looking at that photograph of your UDS before I posted this. It looks really nice.

Carbon 02-06-2013 11:22 AM

I would imagine the ash/clean-out hole mod at the bottom of the drum would work as intended, as well as running the drum without a coal basket. Burning the fuel bare at the bottom of the drum would also create more distance between the coals and the grates as the coals are not elevated in a basket. All you need is perhaps an expanded metal ring (with or without bottom) to keep the coals confined, to keep clear of the intake vents.

Bludawg 02-06-2013 12:55 PM

There are Pros and Cons to your idea
Pros
low cost of materials
Cons
Poor draft, the fire will snuff its self out like an ECB. Fire is a bottom feeder it draws air in at the bottom and releases heat out the top: no air= no fire.
You won't be able to snuff out the fire on a short cook and save fuel for the next cook. Charcoal, ashes and drippings all mixed together will draw damp ruining any remaining fuel and also rust out the bottom of the cooker
Once the grease is mixed with the ash good luck pushing that sludge out of a pipe nipple

J-Rod 02-06-2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bludawg (Post 2357049)
There are Pros and Cons to your idea
Pros
low cost of materials
Cons
Poor draft, the fire will snuff its self out like an ECB. Fire is a bottom feeder it draws air in at the bottom and releases heat out the top: no air= no fire.
You won't be able to snuff out the fire on a short cook and save fuel for the next cook. Charcoal, ashes and drippings all mixed together will draw damp ruining any remaining fuel and also rust out the bottom of the cooker
Once the grease is mixed with the ash good luck pushing that sludge out of a pipe nipple

I agree with all of this. Personally I love simply pulling out my basket/ash pan, giving it a shake over my garbage can to shake out ash and at the same time sift my unused coals, then setting it back in my pit ready to rock. All I can really see the cleanout good for is for washing out the smoker once in a while, and even then I'd want it to be at least a 2" close nipple with no elbows or turns so it doesn't clog.

pal251 02-06-2013 03:03 PM

I won't be using the drain hole as an intake hole. I will look and see if I have any drill bits for 1.5 inch pipe or 2 inch.

I will keep my basket and I don't think the charcoal will snuff out fire if I don't have a ash catcher

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

J-Rod 02-06-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pal251 (Post 2357181)
I will keep my basket and I don't think the charcoal will snuff out fire if I don't have a ash catcher

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

It's not so important to have an ash pan as it is to have the basket elevated a couple inches to provide airflow under the coals and allow ash to fall away as it burns so it won't choke out your fire. You do have a grate for the bottom of your basket, yes?

pal251 02-06-2013 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Rod (Post 2357196)
It's not so important to have an ash pan as it is to have the basket elevated a couple inches to provide airflow under the coals and allow ash to fall away as it burns so it won't choke out your fire. You do have a grate for the bottom of your basket, yes?

Yes I have a grate on the bottom of my basket. I do not have it elevated off of the bottom except for an old ash catcher I took off one of my OTS. I just balance it on top of that because I have not got around to putting a screw on the bottom to elevate it..

Got done with the shelf today. I need to paint it or put a different type of top shelf on it. But I am pleased with the brackets


https://dl.dropbox.com/u/43831123/uds%20shelf.jpg


I set it up so it is pinned in two places and then you can swing it up and down for storage when you remove the back pin or in my case a bolt

hamiltont 02-07-2013 08:07 AM

Looks good!! You'll definitely enjoy having a shelf close to the pit. Cheers!!!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.