The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Maverick brand UDS- anyone seen these? (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153245)

Trumpstylz 02-06-2013 03:53 AM

Maverick brand UDS- anyone seen these?

Anyone have one? It comes with an et 73 (they went cheap). Looks like a cheap drum made like a wsm.

http://stores.barbequejunction.com/-...Categories.bok

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Maverick-Com...item3f1af8f35a

IamMadMan 02-06-2013 06:39 AM

I haven't seen them until now... Thanks for sharing...

Curious to see the reviews..

code3rrt 02-06-2013 06:58 AM

Great.........just great!

Now we can have a debate over the merits of the UDS vs the NS-UDS vs the PBC, LOL, this could get interesting.

Swamp Donkeyz BBQ 02-06-2013 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by code3rrt (Post 2356653)
great.........just great!

Now we can have a debate over the merits of the uds vs the ns-uds vs the pbc, lol, this could get interesting.

lmao!!

BobM 02-06-2013 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trumpstylz (Post 2356613)
Looks like a cheap drum made like a wsm.

Pretty much.
It's interesting though, thanks for the link.

samfsu 02-06-2013 07:53 AM

I think this is great for those that cant weld or have the skills to build a uds. Another option is awesome but they should have done a weber lid :shock:

code3rrt 02-06-2013 08:06 AM

Actually, it does look to have some interesting options. I like the door, although that could be a whole new headache as far as leakage and temp control, easy control vents, and as mentioned pretty good for those like me that don't do the whole welding thing. I just purchased a PBC myself, primarily because of the size( after considering the good reviews of course), I just don't have room for a big 55 gal job. The price point doesn't seem to terrible either, considering you get the ET-732 also.

As mentioned, should be interesting to follow thw reviews.

hav 02-06-2013 08:37 AM

That's farkin' great!

LOL...

I like the design, except for the water bowl (I fill my WSM with sand), but it does allow for the second grate.

ROFLOL...

The price point isn't bad either, they should offer an upgrade to the 732, but other than that, I like it!

...still laughing at the whole UDS vs PBC controversy...SMDH...

jrn 02-06-2013 08:44 AM

Yeah if it gets more people in to drum smoking I can dig it. Interesting design. My first impression is it misses whole drum smoker thing, which is the awesome flavor from the fats and juices dripping on the coals!

smokainmuskoka 02-06-2013 09:08 AM

I noticed these on Mavericks website last year when I was looking for info on replacing a temp probe. I figured the brethren were ignoring it because of a) the cost- $419 list, and b) making it yourself is more satisfying.

My concern is that the it may be finished inside with hi-temp paint rather than enamelled like a WSM, and the hatch looks leaky.

Barbeque Junction 02-06-2013 10:03 AM

Honestly fella's I dont think the Brethren would be happy with it and I have even steered people away from it that I know are hardcore smokers like you farkers ... The door is riveted on and in the process does cause air leaks ... and a little leaky in other area's BUT I do keep it on my site and for a 1st time smoker learning the ropes .. price point is there so it works .. not trying to keep anyone form buying just dont think you will be happy ...

Trumpstylz 02-06-2013 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbeque Junction (Post 2356832)
Honestly fella's I dont think the Brethren would be happy with it and I have even steered people away from it that I know are hardcore smokers like you farkers ... The door is riveted on and in the process does cause air leaks ... and a little leaky in other area's BUT I do keep it on my site and for a 1st time smoker learning the ropes .. price point is there so it works .. not trying to keep anyone form buying just dont think you will be happy ...

Wow, thanks for the honesty.

Barbeque Junction 02-06-2013 10:13 AM

I would not steer anyone wrong ... I have had guys buy it then tweak it to fix the air leaks and use it ... but most people want something they can burn in and use right away and not worry about the air leaks and sealing it up ...

swamprb 02-06-2013 10:34 AM

The door is a deal killer.

the interior guts look well made and might give the best of both worlds for direct/indirect cooking. just not the cooker for me.

Carbon 02-06-2013 10:44 AM

I think it's like the lighter fluid thing, it wants to appeal to the general masses.