The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Charcoal Baskets? (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153240)

KotaChuk678 02-05-2013 08:39 PM

Charcoal Baskets?
 
What is the edge to that?

IamMadMan 02-05-2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KotaChuk678 (Post 2356402)
What is the edge to that?

Simply put: good airflow and ash separation.

Neonnblack 02-05-2013 09:05 PM

Easy to clean the pit to, pull the basket out sweep up, return basket.

flyingbassman5 02-05-2013 09:31 PM

In a vertical? Minion burn, easy clean up, large fuel capacity, and less babysitting.

In an offset? Nothing, blocks air flow and can choke down temps. Offsets are like Nascar, its all about the draft. Putting a basket in an offset is like running a stock car with a clogged air filter.

CarolinaQue 02-05-2013 09:32 PM

Sleep!!!

KotaChuk678 02-05-2013 09:38 PM

Is the New Braunsfels Bandera an offset or a vertical then?


Quote:

Originally Posted by flyingbassman5 (Post 2356476)
In a vertical? Minion burn, easy clean up, large fuel capacity, and less babysitting.

In an offset? Nothing, blocks air flow and can choke down temps. Offsets are like Nascar, its all about the draft. Putting a basket in an offset is like running a stock car with a clogged air filter.


flyingbassman5 02-05-2013 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KotaChuk678 (Post 2356486)
Is the New Braunsfels Bandera an offset or a vertical then?

Offset Vertical (:biggrin1:). You could get away with a basket in one because the air flow is naturally going to rise upward. It then carries the heat into the cook chamber then out the stack. With an offset, you are talking horizontal air movement. The heat from the firebox wants to escape upward through the firebox door. The trick then becomes to create a draft that will carry the heat into the cook chamber without making your temps leave your target range.

Placing a charcoal basket that takes up much of the space in the firebox can really hinder the draft making it tough to get temps steady. Building a charcoal fire right on the charcoal grate can become a chore to babysit, but that is the nature of cheapo stick burners.

javahog2002 02-05-2013 10:22 PM

Using the minion method and special basket, you can also force the charcoal to burn longer by dividing the basket into a C or S pattern.

http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/...psc661fd6f.jpg


http://www.bbqpits.com/new_models_co...7;20basket.JPG

KotaChuk678 02-05-2013 10:28 PM

wow that thing is beautiful, are you actually going to light that?


Quote:

Originally Posted by javahog2002 (Post 2356511)
Using the minion method and special basket, you can also force the charcoal to burn longer by dividing the basket into a C of S pattern.

http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/...psc661fd6f.jpg


http://www.bbqpits.com/new_models_co...l%20basket.JPG


DownHomeQue 02-06-2013 10:23 AM

is the second one in the picture painted??

Bludawg 02-06-2013 01:12 PM

A vertical Bandera off set is still an off set not a true vertical, you will have draft problems with a basket.
a stick burner aint a WSM or a UDS they are not designed to run on Charcoal they are meant to run on Wood. and be fed regular, not recommended for Girly meto sexual types. However there are exceptions to every rule.

BBQ Bandit 02-06-2013 01:29 PM

And yes; I do burn wood during the day... charcoal for overnight cooks.

Lang 48 offset
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/pi...pictureid=1474

Lang 60 offset
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/pi...pictureid=3360
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/pi...pictureid=3358

Lang 84 offset
http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/SSPX0085.jpg

javahog2002 02-06-2013 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DownHomeQue (Post 2356850)
is the second one in the picture painted??

Not sure just pulled the picture from the web. meant to get on of the klose baskets.

Mattmo 02-07-2013 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bludawg (Post 2357067)
a stick burner aint a WSM or a UDS they are not designed to run on Charcoal they are meant to run on Wood. and be fed regular, not recommended for Girly meto sexual types. However there are exceptions to every rule.

nice lol!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.