The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   How To for a pork box (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153213)

eap0510 02-05-2013 11:55 AM

How To for a pork box
 
Does anyone know were I can find a tutorial on how to put together a pork box?
More specifically I am looking for a tutorial that shows me where to get all the different parts that need to go into a box. For example where do I find what they call "tubes" and "chunks". Is there a specific location that most people like to take their chunks from?

I have read the article on Pickled Pig which has some great information on the process but not much on how to put together the box. http://http://www.thepickledpig.com/...tion-pork.html

Now if someone has a video that explains this that would be great but some simple advise would be much appreciated as well.

Thanks,
-Eric

Full Draw BBQ 02-05-2013 12:07 PM

The pork box is the box with the most options, and you'll get a lot of different opinions on what works. I did a Google search for "kcbs pork turn in boxes" and looked at images. There I found several dozen examples, and narrowed down my strategy from that. GOod luck!

DawgPhan 02-05-2013 01:16 PM

what you need to do is cook several pork butts..

put on your cotton gloves with latex over them and then slowly take apart the pork butt muscle be muscle. Once you do that just a couple of times you are going to know right where all the best pieces are. you can feel the difference between the different muscles and you can basically just separate along the fat lines.

This has to be done while hot though.

eap0510 02-05-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DawgPhan (Post 2355831)
what you need to do is cook several pork butts..

put on your cotton gloves with latex over them and then slowly take apart the pork butt muscle be muscle. Once you do that just a couple of times you are going to know right where all the best pieces are. you can feel the difference between the different muscles and you can basically just separate along the fat lines.

This has to be done while hot though.


I have been trying just that but I am doing something wrong for I am unable to get the correct pieces.

What I would like to find is a tutorial of exactly what you mentioned. Someone needs to make a video of how to locate the different muscles within the meat.

-Eric

Pigs on Fire 02-05-2013 02:29 PM

The tube muscles are on the bottom...it's what the fat cap covers. There are 4 decent size muscles. One is the largest at about 3/4" diameter and a couple at about 1/2" diameter.

If you are doing what DawgPhan suggests, you need to keep doing it. And pay attention. You will soon learn how the butt is made up of the different muscles and how they run.

No two are alike...because you are getting two different pigs' shoulders in a twin pack. But they are all similar.

If you are having trouble separating the muscles, you aren't cooking it long enough.

boogiesnap 02-05-2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eap0510 (Post 2355871)
I have been trying just that but I am doing something wrong for I am unable to get the correct pieces.

What I would like to find is a tutorial of exactly what you mentioned. Someone needs to make a video of how to locate the different muscles within the meat.

-Eric

cook it longer. each muscle should tear away whole at your fingertips. squeeze each to gauge tenderness.

Q-Dat 02-05-2013 09:27 PM

Deciding what should go in the box can be tricky. I'm gonna just simplify things and start turning in only Money Muscle. I can't do any worse than I have been.

Bigmista 02-06-2013 01:54 AM

Whatever you do, don't do this:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_p...o/DSC03102.JPG

ModelMaker 02-06-2013 07:09 AM

Neil, what the hell is that? Your junior high science project?
Nice example of a 5 box....
Ed

Pigs on Fire 02-06-2013 08:31 AM

That's a decent start at a salad

Garth57 02-06-2013 08:36 AM

[QUOTE=Bigmista;2356596]Whatever you do, don't do this:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_p...o/DSC03102.JPG

That your Pork Salad you brag about?

BKBBQ 02-06-2013 08:44 AM

Www.bbqsuperstars.com look for bkbbq or lang bbq smokers.darryl has taped alot of my boxes and others also. He taped our whole cook at the triple crown.

Jason TQ 02-06-2013 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eap0510 (Post 2355727)
Does anyone know were I can find a tutorial on how to put together a pork box?
More specifically I am looking for a tutorial that shows me where to get all the different parts that need to go into a box. For example where do I find what they call "tubes" and "chunks". Is there a specific location that most people like to take their chunks from?

I have read the article on Pickled Pig which has some great information on the process but not much on how to put together the box. http://http://www.thepickledpig.com/...tion-pork.html

Now if someone has a video that explains this that would be great but some simple advise would be much appreciated as well.

Thanks,
-Eric

Check out this thread. I did a search on youtube and found some decent video's that I posted in there for the OP. Not all 100% what you are looking for, but decent enough. To find 100% of what you are looking for normally costs $$ as rarely do people just give it away and there are a few teams with online classes.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=152248

mobow 02-06-2013 11:10 AM

Take your meat from around the bone and the money muscle end. Leave the middle alone. keith

J-Rod 02-06-2013 03:46 PM

[quote=Garth57;2356742]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigmista (Post 2356596)
Whatever you do, don't do this:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_p...o/DSC03102.JPG

That your Pork Salad you brag about?

My Lady just said "from a distance that looks like a dirty diaper!"


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.