The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Picnic vs Boston Butt (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153118)

NRF 02-04-2013 09:26 AM

Picnic vs Boston Butt
 
Made a rookie mistake on my Super Bowl smoke Saturday into Sunday. Thought I had a butt and went about my normal routine- 235* until it hit 180, foil wrapped with some apple juice and set it back on until I hit 200. Ok, 207* by the time I got dressed and went downstairs to remove it and plop it into the cooler to rest. It was not until I started to pull it that I realized this was no boston butt, but a shoulder or picnic. The pull was tough with lots of picking and cleaning to do for my fussy eaters. All that said, it was tender and juicy once all said and done. My question is... ( finally lol ) Should a picnic be treated any differently, or are my results - and not that they were terrible-- typical for this cut? It just seemed that there was more fat and connective tissue etc that had not broken down completely. Perhaps my temp probe hit bone? I dunno...:redface:

A turkey breast followed the shoulder into the smoker- that was awesome :icon_smile_tongue:

bigabyte 02-04-2013 09:54 AM

It could have just used a bit more time, until it was tender. It just wasn't done yet.

jestridge 02-04-2013 10:00 AM

Picnic are lot cheaper and they look pretty, but if I had to chose it be butts unless the picnic was dirt cheap

NRF 02-04-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigabyte (Post 2354308)
It could have just used a bit more time, until it was tender. It just wasn't done yet.

Yeah. Perhaps I should get into the habit of double checking the temp with another probe...

Quote:

Originally Posted by jestridge (Post 2354319)
Picnic are lot cheaper and they look pretty, but if I had to chose it be butts unless the picnic was dirt cheap

I think that's what got me here- this cut was shaped just like a butt :rolleyes:

Not that I wouldn't do another picnic, just wondered if it should be treated differently.

I definitely do prefer the Boston Butt though.

El Ropo 02-04-2013 10:28 AM

If it was difficult to pull and still had a lot of fat that didn't render, then it needed more time. Checking temp with a second thermometer will do NOTHING to fix that. Poke it with a bamboo skewer or just use your thermometer as a poker and poke the meat. When it glides in with little resistance, it's done. Some times it won't get to that point till 210 or more.

I also find resting for a minimum of 2 hours works great for any large piece of pork.

And don't give up on picnic roasts because you undercooked one. They are wonderful eating. Many people prefer the flavor of picnics over butts, me included.

deguerre 02-04-2013 10:31 AM

I actually prefer the flavor of a picnic. A whole shoulder is best but those are most times way too much meat for us. Agreed with the above that it just needed a little more time.

NRF 02-04-2013 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Ropo (Post 2354371)
If it was difficult to pull and still had a lot of fat that didn't render, then it needed more time. Checking temp with a second thermometer will do NOTHING to fix that. Poke it with a bamboo skewer or just use your thermometer as a poker and poke the meat. When it glides in with little resistance, it's done. Some times it won't get to that point till 210 or more.

I also find resting for a minimum of 2 hours works great for any large piece of pork.

And don't give up on picnic roasts because you undercooked one. They are wonderful eating. Many people prefer the flavor of picnics over butts, me included.

Got a little too big for my britches maybe. After several very successful cooks- I had forgotten the probe trick.
I do rest them for several hours wrapped in the cooler- but if it wasn't done it wasn't done right?

Give up?? Nah- I have The Brethren to help me!

Quote:

Originally Posted by deguerre (Post 2354373)
I actually prefer the flavor of a picnic. A whole shoulder is best but those are most times way too much meat for us. Agreed with the above that it just needed a little more time.

It was good, don't get me wrong as everyone enjoyed it- I just knew it wasn't what I expected and probably not all it could have been.

Thanks for the thoughts everyone.

NRF 02-04-2013 11:18 AM

Just cuz I thought it was a cool "hot" pic http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...ps76fbee91.jpg

SmokinJohn 02-04-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NRF (Post 2354262)
Made a rookie mistake on my Super Bowl smoke Saturday into Sunday. Thought I had a butt and went about my normal routine- 235* until it hit 180, foil wrapped with some apple juice and set it back on until I hit 200. Ok, 207* by the time I got dressed and went downstairs to remove it and plop it into the cooler to rest. It was not until I started to pull it that I realized this was no boston butt, but a shoulder or picnic. The pull was tough with lots of picking and cleaning to do for my fussy eaters. All that said, it was tender and juicy once all said and done. My question is... ( finally lol ) Should a picnic be treated any differently, or are my results - and not that they were terrible-- typical for this cut? It just seemed that there was more fat and connective tissue etc that had not broken down completely. Perhaps my temp probe hit bone? I dunno...:redface:

A turkey breast followed the shoulder into the smoker- that was awesome :icon_smile_tongue:

Like everyone else has said, it needed a little more time.

I made the mistake "deliberately"...I bought a shoulder, and did not check with the Brethren. Ran it to 190, and got cramps from my fingers to my forearm trying to pull it. The taste was great, but I'll buy butts next time.

NRF 02-04-2013 11:41 AM

Never let the snow stop the Super Bowl smoke!

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...ps502646ca.jpg

deguerre 02-04-2013 03:50 PM

Love the paw prints.:biggrin1:

funugy 02-04-2013 04:06 PM

I switch back and forth between shoulder and butt. From my experience the butt is generally more fatty, but it renders the fat a lot faster than the shoulder. The shoulder generally gives me longer "strings" of meat than the butt.

I don't really prefer one over the other, as the wife does the shopping and just buys whatever is cheaper that day. Sometimes she comes home with both and I just mix them together after they are pulled.

SirPorkaLot 02-04-2013 04:33 PM

have no fear...just cook it a bit longer.

As far as Butt vs Picnic?

I like and use both, and they cook very similar (in fact I cooked these two together, same temp, same time) see here:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=151525

fantomlord 02-04-2013 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokinJohn (Post 2354438)
Like everyone else has said, it needed a little more time.

I made the mistake "deliberately"...I bought a shoulder, and did not check with the Brethren. Ran it to 190, and got cramps from my fingers to my forearm trying to pull it. The taste was great, but I'll buy butts next time.

whether it's a butt or a picnic, if it took a lot of effort to pull, it wasn't ready yet.

cliffcarter 02-04-2013 07:29 PM

I cooked my first picnic Sunday and I noticed a tendency to have different temp readings depending on where I inserted the probe, the temps were 192°, 196° and 202°. The probe inserted very easily and I considered it done based on that alone. I had no problem pulling, I thought it pulled quite easily. I also cooked it HnF, 8.25lb picnic in 6 1/2 hrs so that may have made a difference.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.