The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Super Awesome Eastern NC Style Sauce (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152983)

JMSetzler 02-02-2013 11:44 PM

Super Awesome Eastern NC Style Sauce

This vinegar-based Eastern NC Style Sauce has the perfect amount of tang and 'punch' for pulled pork BBQ... How bad can it be? It's got BACON!

Trumpstylz 02-02-2013 11:57 PM

Looks great. Although I might substitute cayenne or chili powder for the chipotle.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke 02-03-2013 06:23 AM

Looks great JM. Thanks.

By the way, what does the little bit of white vinegar do that the larger amount of cider vinegar doesn't?

Trumpstylz 02-03-2013 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke (Post 2352618)
By the way, what does the little bit of white vinegar do that the larger amount of cider vinegar doesn't?

Not the first time I've seen or heard of that being done.

neuyawk 02-03-2013 07:18 AM

Good looking sauce but every time someone adds ketchup to a Vinegar sauce and calls it EASTERN carolina sauce, God kills a cute fluffy squirrel. Save the squirrels!!! Perfectly appropriate as a Lexington-style sauce though.

Cute cat btw

HeSmellsLikeSmoke 02-03-2013 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neuyawk (Post 2352645)
Good looking sauce but every time someone adds ketchup to a Vinegar sauce and calls it EASTERN carolina sauce, God kills a cute fluffy squirrel. Save the squirrels!!! Perfectly appropriate as a Lexington-style sauce though.

Cute cat btw

JM's sauce has so little ketchup that it seems to be mostly for color. I could swear that Parker's in Wilson has a little ketchup for color in their sauce too. I don't know where the dividing line actually is, but I have assumed that Wilson is in the eastern part?

chicagokp 02-03-2013 08:44 AM

I agree. Parker's and Gardner's vinegar sauce both have a tinge of sweet and red from ketchup but still very pronounced vinegar.

Nice job JM.

DubfromGA 02-03-2013 08:52 AM

If there is any ketchup in Parker's sauce its a tiny amount for color.

I've eaten at the Parker's locations in Wilson and Greenville hundreds of times.

Yes, both are Eastern NC. :)

Best BBQ in Eastern NC is from Pete Jones Skylight Inn over in Ayden, NC. There is no finer Q anywhere.

Smokin Patriots 02-03-2013 09:00 AM

I like the bacon...

smokeyw 02-03-2013 09:06 AM

I don't think that Parker's sauce has any ketchup in it. It may have some Texas Pete or something similar.

I think that eastern NC sauce has changed some in recent years. I think it is not uncommon for some to add a little ketchup nowdays although years ago it was unheard of. I don't know of anyone that adds chipotle although it is probably good.

neuyawk 02-03-2013 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke (Post 2352669)
JM's sauce has so little ketchup that it seems to be mostly for color. I could swear that Parker's in Wilson has a little ketchup for color in their sauce too. I don't know where the dividing line actually is, but I have assumed that Wilson is in the eastern part?

Parker's has no ketchup in it. It's basically Texas Pete and sugar for the red sweet.

captndan 02-03-2013 09:34 AM

As for the vinegars I don't know why. It's just the way it has been done for a long time.

JMSetzler 02-03-2013 10:56 AM

I think the only thing 'authentic' about eastern NC style sauce is the dominance of vinegar. I have eaten it all over this state and no two are identical so 'authentic' is definitely subjective no matter where you get it.

JMSetzler 02-03-2013 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke (Post 2352618)
Looks great JM. Thanks.

Nothing in particular... I didn't have enough apple cider vinegar so I used some white as well...

NCguyHere 02-03-2013 04:37 PM

Adding ketchup makes it Lexington style sauce doesn't it?