The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Corrugated Aluminum Awning Ideas/Photos Needed (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152540)

javahog2002 01-28-2013 09:43 AM

Corrugated Aluminum Awning Ideas/Photos Needed
 
I am planning to build a freestanding awning up against my house to cover the pits and provide some storage shelves.

Details:
  • Sloped Corrugated Roof (reusing scraps in picture)
  • 4ft X 12 ft roof (approx)
  • 2X4 Frame - Pine
  • 4X4 legs - Pressure treated
  • All lumber stained
  • Cover two pits
  • Shelves in middle for charcoal, WSM Mini, ...
  • Wired for lights above each pit and outlets
All suggestions, ideas and photos of your bbq area are welcomed.





http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/...ps065bd6ad.jpg

http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/...ps99664d80.jpg

TulareJohn 01-28-2013 09:41 PM

I am looking now for some of that corrugated tin roofing (old barn roofing), but I want to mount it along my wooden fence with my neighbor so I dont burn down the fence incase something gets out of hand....I dont want the new shiney stuff, but old discolored, rusted in spots kind, to make it rustic...then mount old farm and ranch items onto it...

Offthehook 01-28-2013 09:43 PM

I live in so cal so this is all new to me, but I am curious to see the outcome.

Toast 01-28-2013 09:46 PM

I'll take some pic's of my rig. Hopefully tomorrow.

javahog2002 01-28-2013 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Offthehook (Post 2345876)
I live in so cal so this is all new to me, but I am curious to see the outcome.

A well known Central Texas BBQ place has a corrugated metal roof.
http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/...psb1645295.jpg

Also, many Texas hill country style houses use metal roofing.

http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/...ps7f710996.jpg

HankB 01-28-2013 11:21 PM

I don't know if you can seal it to the wall so I think it best to make it free standing and then set it against the wall.

javahog2002 01-28-2013 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TulareJohn (Post 2345874)
I am looking now for some of that corrugated tin roofing (old barn roofing), but I want to mount it along my wooden fence with my neighbor so I dont burn down the fence incase something gets out of hand....I dont want the new shiney stuff, but old discolored, rusted in spots kind, to make it rustic...then mount old farm and ranch items onto it...


I got my old scraps from a friend. He remodeled the exterior of his hanger at our local airport.

Smokin' D 01-29-2013 07:28 AM

I'm looking to do the same thing in the spring at the back of my new garage, a bit larger though at 8' deep. Yours will be done long before mine even gets started, as I'm at least 4 months from construction, so no real help for you. There is corrugated flashing out there to use at the brick wall to keep any water from getting underneath and I think yours looks to be a pretty simple build.

Here is a process for taking some new, shiny panels and making them look more rustic/rusty.

http://voices.yahoo.com/how-rust-cor...-11433802.html

Will be giving this a try for the wall behind the cooker.

jonboy 01-29-2013 08:09 AM

I have been thinking of building something similar for my grills.
There is a thread with several pages of designs and builds.
You are only limited by your budget.
A simple design would be 3 4 by 4 centered posts,6'OC, with 3@4' "T" top and 6@ 3' "Y" kickers.
I would slope about 2/12, drain to the back. You could use 3@12' 2 by 4 for per lings.

You don't need shelves. Just pick yourself up an old gasser.
Hope this helps,
jon

cpw 01-29-2013 08:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the "before" pic of what I'm using now for a shelter, unfortunately I don't have any recent pics of what it looks like now. Basically, I took the longer front legs that are shown in the pic, moved them to the back and all the way to the outside, and got 2 longer 4x4's and put them towards the front, all the way to the outside as well, and added a couple of the angle braces for stability. I'd say the overall dimensions of the roof is probably 6' wide, and 5' deep, and with the new configuration, the upper most part of the roof is probably at 7'.

Texas Turtle 01-29-2013 08:28 AM

Watch out for the HOA nazis if it is visible from the street.

Deep South 01-29-2013 10:14 AM

I'd just attach it to the brick wall below the gutter line. You shouldn't have any issues with leaking due to the overhang and gutter above. With that said 4' is really shallow and if you don't put a gutter on the new roof the splash from the runoff is going to wet most of your area. I'd go 8' out and get enough depth to fit the pits plus a lawnchair and a cooler out of the elements. :grin:

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e1...h/cookshed.jpg

TulareJohn 01-29-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HankB (Post 2345997)
I don't know if you can seal it to the wall so I think it best to make it free standing and then set it against the wall.

In my case that I have planned, it will be "nailed" to the existing wooden fence, on my side, to make a decorative display and heat shield...

Deep South 01-29-2013 11:27 AM

No way I'd send water back towards the house UNLESS you could mount a gutter against the brick and tie into the existing downspout.

I drew this...

-4' x 12' with 4x4 posts based on the existing 4' tin you have.
-24"x60" 1/2" plywood storage with a fold down door for the Weber to rest on.
-not to scale but close :biggrin1:

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e1...OOKSHACK-1.jpg

javahog2002 01-29-2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonboy (Post 2346161)
I have been thinking of building something similar for my grills.
There is a thread with several pages of designs and builds.
You are only limited by your budget.
A simple design would be 3 4 by 4 centered posts,6'OC, with 3@4' "T" top and 6@ 3' "Y" kickers.
I would slope about 2/12, drain to the back. You could use 3@12' 2 by 4 for per lings.

You don't need shelves. Just pick yourself up an old gasser.
Hope this helps,
jon

Thanks.

Explain the following:

3@4' "T" top

6@ 3' "Y" kickers.

per lings


Thanks.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:25 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.