The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Pit Barrel Smoker build (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152281)

cinmur 01-24-2013 07:38 PM

Pit Barrel Smoker build
 
Just built 30 gal. Pbs which works great. Does anybody know how charcoal fits in the charcoal basket sold by the PBS company? My basket is larger and trying to get an idea on how much they use.

jrn 01-24-2013 07:48 PM

Are you wanting to know the dimensions? IIRC, it's a 14" basket. Don't know the depth on it, but that shouldn't be hard to find out. IMO, its not that important. I think it's more about how much lit charcoal you use (minion method) than the size of the basket. However, height would matter as far as the top of the basket and its relation to the bottom of the food. But I don't think a few inches one way or another would matter much. Jason. :)

jrn 01-24-2013 07:51 PM

I would think six inches would be enough. ( that's what she said!) I knew y'all were thinking it so I said it first!!

Trumpstylz 01-24-2013 07:57 PM

The important things would be A) set it up so that you can hang the meat and B) (optional) put the settings so that x amount of charcoal gets you to 280 or 290. The rest doesn't seem all that important to me.

jrn 01-24-2013 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trumpstylz (Post 2340888)
The important things would be A) set it up so that you can hang the meat and B) (optional) put the settings so that x amount of charcoal gets you to 280 or 290. The rest doesn't seem all that important to me.

Yep. What Trump said.

When I build mine I'm gonna use a ball valve and one or two additional close nipples with pipe caps.

PatioDaddio 01-24-2013 08:20 PM

How about buying one to find out? It's pretty crass to ask on a public forum how to
copy a commercial product. Just sayin'...

John

cowgirl 01-24-2013 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cinmur (Post 2340872)
Just built 30 gal. Pbs which works great. Does anybody know how charcoal fits in the charcoal basket sold by the PBS company? My basket is larger and trying to get an idea on how much they use.

Can't help you with the basket but I hope you take some pics to share of your build. Would love to see it!

jrn 01-24-2013 08:59 PM

I disagree John. Where did you buy your uds's? Did you get ideas on how to build them on this forum? Besides that, who appointed you the PBC watchdog? It would be nice to have one conversation about these style cookers without you taking someone to task. Jason

PatioDaddio 01-24-2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrn (Post 2340945)
I disagree John. Where did you buy your uds's? Did you get ideas on how to build them on this forum? Besides that, who appointed you the PBC watchdog? It would be nice to have one conversation about these style cookers without you taking someone to task. Jason

We've had discussions ad-nauseum, and perhaps you've noticed that
I've been ready, willing and able to answer questions. However, when
it comes to protected intellectual property and ethics I won't
compromise.

If it were your product and your livelihood on the line I doubt that
you'd be so open-minded. So, it really boils down to the Golden
Rule.

John

foam2 01-24-2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatioDaddio (Post 2340908)
How about buying one to find out? It's pretty crass to ask on a public forum how to
copy a commercial product. Just sayin'...

John

We're not splitting the atom here... The basic design of the PBC is very simple and others who want to experiment before buying one or are frugal might try imitating it. Before I bought my PBC I built a UDS with stainless rods and hooks and it was great but I wanted to see what the original was like. When the PBC arrived I was surprised to see how close some of the things were to what I built on my UDS but also how some things were better on a comercial unit. I have not cooked on my PBC yet but there are going to be some significant quality differences between the PBC and DIY unit as well. The PBC is powder coated while the DIY paint is typically from high temp spray can, the charcoal basked on the PBC is fairly good and much better than the DIY charcoal grate and expanded metal solution, nice fitting lid with handles and a stand on the PBC compared to the garage door handles and myriad of lid/kettle lids available.
I think at $225 the PBC offers a lot for people that do not want to mess around tracking down barrels, removing liners and on and on. While I'm not going to put reversed engineered plans and information out on the PBC, it is unrealistic to believe that people wont try to copy it.

cinmur 01-24-2013 09:13 PM

I see nothing wrong with asking people about their bbq projects on what works and doesn't,...I thought that was what forums are about....I just took an old barrel and threw some charcoal in it and was curious how many lbs. it took to keep a constant temp. for a good length of time.

PatioDaddio 01-24-2013 09:14 PM

It would appear that there's sufficient rocket surgery involved to foil many
would be craftsmen, which is a good thing. :wink:

It kills me that it's "just a smaller UDS", yet it would appear that folks are
finding out that it's not. If it is a small UDS, just get a 30-gallon drum and
build a smaller UDS. Simple, eh?

John

jrn 01-24-2013 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatioDaddio (Post 2340952)
We've had discussions ad-nauseum, and perhaps you've noticed that
I've been ready, willing and able to answer questions. However, when
it comes to protected intellectual property and ethics I won't
compromise.

If it were your product and your livelihood on the line I doubt that
you'd be so open-minded. So, it really boils down to the Golden
Rule.

John

Fair enough John. But where did Noah get the idea to start building them? He had to start his research some where initially. You're passionate about PBCs, that's cool, and I respect that. Personally, the only reason I don't buy one myself is because I don't buy smokers. I build'em myself. Isnt that the essence of these style cookers (uds & pbc styles)? That they can be built easily and cheaply by anyone with minimal tools?

PatioDaddio 01-24-2013 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrn (Post 2340985)
Fair enough John. But where did Noah get the idea to start building them? He had to start his research some where initially. You're passionate about PBCs, that's cool, and I respect that. Personally, the only reason I don't buy one myself is because I don't buy smokers. I build'em myself. Isnt that the essence of these style cookers (uds & pbc styles)? That they can be built easily and cheaply by anyone with minimal tools?

To be honest, I don't know where Noah's idea or research began. Call him and I'm sure he'd be more than willing to discuss it.

As for the "essence" of drum cookers, I don't know about that either. However, let's replace the word "cooker" with "rub". How do you think the following would go over with honest folks here?

"Does anyone have the recipe for Plowboys Yard Bird rub? I want to make my own."

Playing devil's advocate, isn't the essence of BBQ rub such that anyone can make them with simple ingredients?

John

foam2 01-24-2013 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatioDaddio (Post 2340994)
To be honest, I don't know where Noah's idea or research began. Call him and I'm sure he'd be more than willing to discuss it.

As for the "essence" of drum cookers, I don't know about that either. However, let's replace the word "cooker" with "rub". How do you think the following would go over with honest folks here?

"Does anyone have the recipe for Plowboys Yard Bird rub? I want to make my own."

Playing devil's advocate, isn't the essence of BBQ rub such that anyone can make them with simple ingredients?

John

I don't think PBC has anything to worry about with the shade tree mechanics and DIY'ers of the world making a smoker for themselves. Those people were never their target audience. Some will hit, many will miss. What is far worse is having cheap mass produced knock offs from China - they would impact PBC's business and I wouldn't want to see that happen to anyone.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.