The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Possible new smoker build? (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152137)

ButtBurner 01-22-2013 06:01 PM

Possible new smoker build?

Gang-

Been fascinated by the gravity fed smokers, Backwoods, etc. Dont really know much about them or how they work.

I have this old Laboratory oven sitting in my garage that I was going to use for powdercoating, but decided not to.

Now its calling out to me, "Brian...I wanna be a smoker when I grow up!"

What do you think? Its clean, all it was used for was heating up parts to be pressed into assemblies

I would gut the heater out of it.

But I dont know, might be too much work, but maybe not?

Its SUPER insulated and SUPER heavy

I would paint it black of course...

Untraceable 01-22-2013 06:14 PM

looks like a smoker already

ButtBurner 01-22-2013 06:20 PM

yeah I know LOL

I just am looking for ideas of what to do with it.

I dont know anything about gravity fed or the other types, just want to use lump if possible in it

No gasser or wattburner on this one

thanks

Buried In Smoke 04-04-2013 11:28 AM

Did this thing ever grow up and become a smoker?

ButtBurner 04-04-2013 11:35 AM

no. I started taking it apart and in the floor, under the heater elements was some burned on crud that I could not indentify and thought it would be better not to try to cook food in it!

willbird 04-04-2013 11:37 AM

The thing is probably worth a pretty penny as is(for non BBQ purposes), what is the max temperature ?? A fairly simple PID temp controller retrofit would really enhance it.

Bill

Buried In Smoke 04-04-2013 11:41 AM

That's a shame, looks like it had a nice future ahead of it.

ButtBurner 04-04-2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willbird (Post 2435197)
The thing is probably worth a pretty penny as is(for non BBQ purposes), what is the max temperature ?? A fairly simple PID temp controller retrofit would really enhance it.

Bill

It did not work and was wired for 480v

thats why I was going to gut it for a smoker.

Buried In Smoke 04-04-2013 11:49 AM

I would venture a guess we could make that crud go away. Heck, there is always a way, when there is the will to make it happen.

Twelvegaugepump 04-04-2013 12:04 PM

The crud is nothing a grinder or torch couldn't help fix. I say go for it, or send it west. I would love to take that little project on!!!

ButtBurner 04-04-2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twelvegaugepump (Post 2435232)
The crud is nothing a grinder or torch couldn't help fix. I say go for it, or send it west. I would love to take that little project on!!!

I am sure the insulation etc is also contaminated. this was used for assembly of auto parts, who knows whats in it. it was not as clean as I thought it was once I got into it, the whole thing reeked of something weird

besides, its long gone to the recycler. this is an old thread and I have since moved on