The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   KISS Principle (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152080)

JohnHB 01-22-2013 02:01 AM

KISS Principle

1 Attachment(s)
At time we go to great efforts to produce an average meal. An elderly Thai lady is making her living on the charcoal cooker shown below. She produces three products Chicken Maryland, skewers of chicken bums & skewers of giblets. All tasted fantastic and were very moist. A great example of Keeping It Simple Stupid (KISS Principle). BBQing at its simplest!!!
Attachment 74796
A photo of a Patong Beach vendor.
John

AussieTitch 01-22-2013 02:12 AM

Some of the best food I have ever tasted has been cooked like that.
Hope your having a great holiday.
cheers.
Titch

BigBellyBBQ 01-22-2013 03:18 AM

chicken bums???? I am glad I am from Buffalo....we use the wings up here!

Freddy j 01-22-2013 03:22 AM

Food looks GREAT John, what is a chicken bum?

JohnHB 01-22-2013 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBellyBBQ (Post 2337451)
chicken bums???? I am glad I am from Buffalo....we use the wings up here!

Yes & only one from each bird. Great value at 50c a skewer.
John

JohnHB 01-22-2013 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy j (Post 2337453)
Food looks GREAT John, what is a chicken bum?

We call it the parsons nose. It is the tail piece - Little piece of bone, some skin, some fat and some flesh - tastes good.
John

BigBellyBBQ 01-22-2013 04:11 AM

you folk down under ultilize the whole bird....but people will really buy a skewer of them? I have heard of chicken lips as a special dish, so I guess

both ends are covered!!!

JohnHB 01-22-2013 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBellyBBQ (Post 2337466)
you folk down under ultilize the whole bird....but people will really buy a skewer of them? I have heard of chicken lips as a special dish, so I guess

both ends are covered!!!

I have never seen them served by themselves in Australia. But I am currently in Thailand on holidays and they use everything.
John

buccaneer 01-22-2013 04:47 AM

Hmmm, if I were in Patong I would be hussling around looking for gaeng tai plah, pad ped Sataw, khanom Jeen, Pak Tom Gati and especially tom Kem Gati plah Dook and kaeng Som!
I'd leave the grilled meats for when i got back.
Maybe hitting sabai sabai and the food courts at central 5.
Enjoy John!

Bludawg 01-22-2013 09:45 AM

I ate allot of that street BBQ all over Asia including Thailand. The sweet Chili sauce covered the taste of the rats,.. She kept them in a basket under her cart she would snatch one by the tail knock its head against the curb to dispatch it, then use the long claw like fingernails to pierce the hide behind the skull and strip it off the carcass, two min later it was cut, skewered and on the fire. Seeing what I had just consumed ( thinking it was Chicken) I lost my taste for Street BBQ. Pataya Beach Thailand July 1983

dadsr4 01-22-2013 10:14 AM

If this type of cooking interests you, check out THE BARBECUE! BIBLE BY STEVEN RAICHLEN. I have a PDF copy I downloaded for free a while ago. Might be worth a Google search, I think I had to download Realplayer to get it.

buccaneer 01-22-2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bludawg (Post 2337694)
I ate allot of that street BBQ all over Asia including Thailand. The sweet Chili sauce covered the taste of the rats,.. She kept them in a basket under her cart she would snatch one by the tail knock its head against the curb to dispatch it, then use the long claw like fingernails to pierce the hide behind the skull and strip it off the carcass, two min later it was cut, skewered and on the fire. Seeing what I had just consumed ( thinking it was Chicken) I lost my taste for Street BBQ. Pataya Beach Thailand July 1983

It was a rodent, rat like, but not a rat.
Delicious too.
The suckers in Bangkok are bigger than big domestic cats.:shock:

ITBFQ 01-22-2013 04:26 PM

Any time I bbq a whole chicken, beer can or otherwise, I ALWAYS eat the tail piece. Didn't know it was called the "parson's nose" in some parts. I'll tell that to my wife the next time she looks at me weird as I eat the tail!

Boshizzle 01-22-2013 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bludawg (Post 2337694)

Well, at least you know it was fresh. :mrgreen:

Arlin_MacRae 01-22-2013 04:40 PM

John, you make a great point.
Sometimes we get so wrapped around the axle we forget what we're doing.
Thanks!

Arlin