The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   My YS 640 rocks!! (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152056)

Bigdog 01-21-2013 07:19 PM

My YS 640 rocks!!
 
Well, I'm 2 for 2. My first cook was a spiral cut honey glazed ham that my wife said was my best yet. Now I hit it out of the park with tritip, grilled veggies in SOW marinade, burgundy mushrooms, and chocolate pudding cake. The wife said it was the best meal so far. I also did a double batch for the neighbors as they gave me their old trampoline for the grandkids that we are raising. I have grilled tritip before, but this time I smoked it at 250 to 120, cranked her up then seared it up up to 130. Really easy to do with the 640 and the grill grates.

A shout out has to go to Andy G. for the recipes and to Ron-O for the advice.

Gore 01-21-2013 07:21 PM

That is the next thing on my wishlist. I think it's gonna be a wait though. Glad to hear you're lovin' it.

Pyle's BBQ 01-21-2013 07:22 PM

Aw, com' on. You know I can't read. I want pictures!

Of the pit at least.

Bigdog 01-21-2013 07:31 PM

Sorry, no pics. And yes, you gotta get a 640 Gore. It took a lot of convincing but I have made the wife a believer. I still love the MOAB but it is a PITA to get fired up. The 640 takes a flick of the on switch and a push of the on button, and ya, make sure that there are pellets in the hopper.

nucornhusker 01-21-2013 08:53 PM

I'm ordering mine in a month and I'm going crazy. Hearing your success story only makes me more excited and more antsy.

Glad you are liking it.

Bigdog 01-21-2013 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nucornhusker (Post 2337167)
I'm ordering mine in a month and I'm going crazy. Hearing your success story only makes me more excited and more antsy.

Glad you are liking it.

Have you ever attended one of the cooking classes at ATBBQ?

TheJackal 01-21-2013 11:20 PM

What pellets (make and flavor) did you use and which firmware are you running? Would love to hear more about your YS640 experiences. I agree YS640 is a winner. Six top 8 finishes in eight comps for pork. Also cooked killer wings, turkey, and whole chicken on it for fun at home. My wife basically does not eat meat except for white meat chicken. I cooked chicken breasts on the yoder that my wife says were the most moist and flavorful chicken breasts shes ever eaten. Yoder FTW.

nucornhusker 01-22-2013 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigdog (Post 2337172)
Have you ever attended one of the cooking classes at ATBBQ?

I have not been there at all yet. It's about a five hour drive from here so it's tough just to drop in. I would like to go there though and I'm sure the classes are good. Who teaches them?

LM600 01-22-2013 06:35 AM

Sounds awesome. I would love a Yoder.

Bigdog 01-22-2013 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheJackal (Post 2337330)
What pellets (make and flavor) did you use and which firmware are you running? Would love to hear more about your YS640 experiences. I agree YS640 is a winner. Six top 8 finishes in eight comps for pork. Also cooked killer wings, turkey, and whole chicken on it for fun at home. My wife basically does not eat meat except for white meat chicken. I cooked chicken breasts on the yoder that my wife says were the most moist and flavorful chicken breasts shes ever eaten. Yoder FTW.

BBQ Delight pecan and cherry 50/50 mix and whatever is the latest firmware as it has a born on date of 9/17/12.
Quote:

Originally Posted by nucornhusker (Post 2337396)
I have not been there at all yet. It's about a five hour drive from here so it's tough just to drop in. I would like to go there though and I'm sure the classes are good. Who teaches them?

Andy Groneman of Smoke on Wheels and I am his sous chef and pit bitch. The reason I ask is that we have had guys from Nebraska attend.
Quote:

Originally Posted by LM600 (Post 2337502)
Sounds awesome. I would love a Yoder.

Yes you would but UK shipping would be rough.

nucornhusker 01-22-2013 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigdog (Post 2338493)
Andy Groneman of Smoke on Wheels and I am his sous chef and pit bitch. The reason I ask is that we have had guys from Nebraska attend.

It's not out of the question by any means, but just tough with two young children and my wife and I work odd schedules.

It is something I will follow on the ATBBQ site and see if one would motivate me to make the drive. Don has been great to talk to and I'd like to meet and thank him in person for all of his help.

Ron_L 01-22-2013 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigdog (Post 2337026)
A shout out has to go to Andy G. for the recipes and to Ron-O for the advice.


Anything to help a Brother!

Well...

Almost anything... :becky:

Bludawg 01-22-2013 11:09 PM

What happens if the power goes out?:doh:

Bonkers789 01-23-2013 07:46 AM

Easy a deepcycle battery and a power inverter

Show me smoke 02-21-2013 12:12 AM

I agree I bought mine from the Rep at the KCBS banquet...they even dropped it off on their way back. Cooks great I have had zero problems, I did upgrade the whimpy wheels and casters that it came with.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.