The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Burnt Ends (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151889)

1dusty00a 01-20-2013 07:19 AM

Burnt Ends

Morning All;

Well here in Southeastern Wisc. Its Farkin Cold with a Heck of a Wind!!!!! Blew everything off the Patio Except the UDS, musta been to Da*n ugly!!! But I'm thinkin of trying some burnt ends, cann't find a Point!! Can I use a smaller Flat instead?

Give me some Ideas for a subsitute, that Pastrami from BigMista is an option though!!!!

Teamfour 01-20-2013 07:22 AM

Flat really won't produce good burnt ends due to the low fat content.

Big George's BBQ 01-20-2013 07:33 AM

Agree with the above

WineMaster 01-20-2013 08:18 AM

Other than point Ive used a chuck roast. Smoke it then cube it. Re-season it and sauce it and smoke some more. Thats about as close as you'll get to a point.

cheapbeer 01-20-2013 09:21 AM

Go to walmart or other supplier and get a packer and seperate it and save the flat for another time if you dont want to start off with it as a whole packer. That wind blew in some cold last nite for sure in Wisconsin.

daninnewjersey 01-20-2013 09:57 AM

I second the chuck roast idea. It's pretty close to brisket and has the fat necessary to keep it tender, unlike just a flat.

1dusty00a 01-20-2013 10:27 AM

Thanks to all; The chuck idea sounds great!!! Just look for a well marbled one, eh??? Thanks again

schmitty28 01-20-2013 10:32 AM

that was a good question I was glad to find your post was thinking about the same thing glad there is so much help here

Q-Dat 01-20-2013 10:40 AM

A while back I was cooking a brisket with a small point. I wanted to have plenty of "burnt ends for everyone, so I bought a couple small chuck roasts and gave them the same treatment as the point. Well I did them all in the same pan, and when all was said and done I could not tell which was which.

Hawg Father of Seoul 01-20-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Q-Dat (Post 2334852)
A while back I was cooking a brisket with a small point. I wanted to have plenty of "burnt ends for everyone, so I bought a couple small chuck roasts and gave them the same treatment as the point. Well I did them all in the same pan, and when all was said and done I could not tell which was which.

True, I some times chuckle when I think of some one paying more for point than chuck. (1/3 of people will insert the word will after chuck)