The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Philco fridge build question (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151790)

Twelvegaugepump 01-18-2013 07:46 PM

Philco fridge build question

1 Attachment(s)
I got ahold of an old Philco fridge for free.

Attachment 74627

I would love to make a smoker for sausage due to the ability to hang meat with this setup. The inside of the door is plastic as is a small section around the inside. If I remove those and the insulation, could I install a gas burner and a cast iron pan to hold chips? I understand I lose some insulating ability, but with the cost of steel, I am not sure I can afford to re-line it. I just spent 300 dollars on angle iron for a trailer build. Anyone done anything similar?

Pyle's BBQ 01-18-2013 08:15 PM

A picture of the inside would help.

Twelvegaugepump 01-18-2013 08:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 74628
Door

Attachment 74629
Light tan around edge is plastic. You can see a crack in the upper corner.

Twelvegaugepump 01-19-2013 10:55 AM

Apparently the pics weren't helpful. :-)

Bluesman 01-19-2013 11:04 AM

I don't think you have anything to lose. Tear off the plastic and go. You're only going to be at 180* for sausage. I would give it a shot. if you're cold smoking you even at a lower temp. What you have is a nicely sealed unit, I wouldn't worry about loosing the insulation value.

Midnight Smoke 01-19-2013 12:07 PM

Is the fridge in working condition? If so I would sell it. For free you can try anything but in your part of the country keeping temps might be hard without insulation. If it was a metal lined interior you could have a great smoker. JMHO

woodbutcher1 01-19-2013 01:03 PM

I would leave it as is. Turn into a strictly "cold smoker". Make or purchase the amas-n-smoker, drill some holes thru the bottom for air supply,and a 2" + hole in the top for a dampener. The amaz-n-smoker will Not generate enough heat to damage the little bit of plastic. Just my $0.02

Twelvegaugepump 01-19-2013 07:53 PM

Cold smoker is a good idea. The fridge does not work, so it is getting converted either way. Never considered cold smoker...... What kind of sausages can I cold smoke?

woodbutcher1 01-19-2013 08:06 PM

Any sausage that requires smoke you can cold smoke, including bacon,cheese,salmon, eggs,salt,etc. I cure and smoke BBB (buck board bacon) made from pork butt,shoulder. Fantastic stuff.