The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Primo grate rusting (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151561)

VINCEKTAN 01-15-2013 10:16 AM

Primo grate rusting

Happy New Year all. First time poster here.

I have a 2 year old Primo XL that I love but what I don't like much is their grate. I noticed that my grate is starting to rust. Just wondering if that is the same experience for most here? If so, what is the remedy or is there alternative grate that I can use? I also noticed that they have a new cast iron grate. Is this any better?

I also have their cart with stainless steel sides and the locking mechanism for the wheels have rusted and fallen off. :shock:

bobaftt 01-15-2013 10:17 AM

I think you will find all cast iron grates rust unless they are coated in something. I would oil them well after use if it bothered me.

Arlin_MacRae 01-15-2013 10:46 AM

Hey Vince. Mine are a little rusty too, after two or three years of age, but it's nothing horrible.
My caster locks are fine, though... Are you close to the coast?

Head on over to Cattle Call and intro yourself!

Arlin

Southstar Jeff 01-15-2013 11:07 AM

I believe the standard grates are coated steel, so some rust would be typical. I'd definitely give the cast iron a try, love cast iron.

Patrickkva 01-15-2013 02:50 PM

I've got no rust on my ceramic coated grates. I do have the @%$)(@&#)-ing rust on my SS cart and the wheel mechanism part fell off mine too. Might give them a call and see if they'll replace them, but it would be a PITA to replace them.
I mean, really? Rusted out wheels on their own cart?!?
In other news, I cooked 3 racks of baby backs last weekend on my XL and still love that darn thing. :loco::becky:

VINCEKTAN 01-15-2013 03:55 PM

Yeah, the SS cart has rust on the lower tray and the locking mechanism part fell off. One the first year, the other this summer. Never seen that with anything else I've owned. I am about 15 miles from the ocean but I am surprised that they used such inferior parts. I called them the first year and they told me that they will send me the replacement wheel, all I need is pay the shipping. I did not do it because I can't even imagine taking that thing apart.

As for the grate, I might give the cast iron a try. I was hoping that there is a stainless steel option but I don't think they have on. I wonder if the lifting tool is able to work with cast iron grate. BTW, the lifting tool is also rusting.