The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Pork Belly (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151554)

chad 01-15-2013 07:59 AM

Pork Belly

1 Attachment(s)
I picked up a 14.3 pound Smithfield pork belly from Publix yesterday! I didn't feel $2.99 per pound was too bad.

I'll be cutting/trimming over the next day or two and start curing Friday so that it will be ready for bacon/smoking the next weekend.

The plan is for American bacon, pancetta, and save some of the large trimmings as "salt pork" and the rest as fat for sausage.

I'll update the thread as I get to work.

CarolinaQue 01-15-2013 08:05 AM

Looks like a good start! I like to take the skin off before curing and render it down for lard.

buccaneer 01-15-2013 08:29 AM

Could someone tell me what makes the distinction of American bacon?
I sense a new adventure on the horizon!

ButtBurner 01-15-2013 08:36 AM

I just paid $2.99/lb here in Michigan last week. I think thats a fair price

I will be ready to smoke this Saturday

;)

chad 01-15-2013 08:36 AM

American bacon is pork belly, cured, and smoked. Usually thin sliced and fried. i think Brits call is "streaky" bacon.

As opposed to "Canadian" bacon or buckboard bacon made from loin or shoulder or pancetta which is cured and dried but not smoked but is pork belly!

ButtBurner 01-15-2013 08:38 AM

also, in America, bacon is used as currency

;)

chad 01-15-2013 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ButtBurner (Post 2329418)
also, in America, bacon is used as currency

;)

And dessert!

scm1226 01-15-2013 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buttburner (Post 2329418)
also, in america, bacon is used as currency

;)

thats farking fantastic!!!!! I would so poor> i don"t eat my dollars now but would if that was true!!

buccaneer 01-15-2013 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chad (Post 2329417)
American bacon is pork belly, cured, and smoked. Usually thin sliced and fried. i think Brits call is "streaky" bacon.

As opposed to "Canadian" bacon or buckboard bacon made from loin or shoulder or pancetta which is cured and dried but not smoked but is pork belly!

Thanks chad but its bad news for me.
"American" bacon is just bacon then, same as ours down under, no new experiments.
You guys are funny... Bacon and ice cream sammie please!

chad 01-15-2013 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buccaneer (Post 2329435)
Thanks chad but its bad news for me.
"American" bacon is just bacon then, same as ours down under, no new experiments.
You guys are funny... Bacon and ice cream sammie please!

:mrgreen: Actually, there are lots of experiments with making your own bacon...different seasonings, different smoke, slice thick or thin!! I'm looking forward to adding my bacon to my recipes. I make my own tasso, andouille, and other sausages...so I've got my tasso and andouille going into jambalaya this weekend...

The_Kapn 01-15-2013 09:01 AM

Sounds like some fun fixin' to happen down your way Dave 8)

Good Luck

TIM

buccaneer 01-15-2013 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chad (Post 2329437)
:mrgreen: Actually, there are lots of experiments with making your own bacon...different seasonings, different smoke, slice thick or thin!! I'm looking forward to adding my bacon to my recipes. I make my own tasso, andouille, and other sausages...so I've got my tasso and andouille going into jambalaya this weekend...

Don't get me wrong, I make my own bacon and experiment with spices and herbs,molasses,even coffee.
I make pancetta too, pics are here somewhere, but I meant " American "bacon hasn't turned out to be a new species is all
:laugh:

chad 01-15-2013 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buccaneer (Post 2329441)
Don't get me wrong, I make my own bacon and experiment with spices and herbs,molasses,even coffee.
I make pancetta too, pics are here somewhere, but I meant " American "bacon hasn't turned out to be a new species is all
:laugh:

Kewl! I just used the "American" qualifier for clarity - and farked that up.

TBASS 01-15-2013 11:47 AM

Looking forward to seeing how your bacon turns out. I was just looking at a a pork belly at Publix yesterday. Didn't pull the trigger but kind of wish I did. Be sure to post pics.

chad 01-17-2013 07:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I prepped the pork belly last night.
I trimmed out:
4# slab for sweet smoked bacon (cure and brown sugar)
3# slab for savory smoke bacon (cure, black pepper, garlic, bay leaf)
3# slab for pancetta (cure, corriander, juniper, bay leaft, thyme, garlic, black pepper)
The balance of the trimmings are in the freezer awaiting the next sausage session.
All slabs are in the fridge getting happy for the next 9 days!