The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   First Pork Butt (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151340)

Toney Marconi 01-12-2013 10:31 AM

First Pork Butt
 
Well not first the first butt I've smoked, but the first butt I've smoked on my UDS. Picked up a six pounder, smothered it with some Hickory Farms Sweet Hot Mustard, rubbed her down with some Famous Dave's Rib Rub (because I like the taste), Black Pepper, and threw her on the Drum early this morning.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b5...BB7F47CCBC.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b5...BB71B1CBF3.jpg

I cooked it with the fat side up - always heard it doesn't really matter and everyone has a different opinion on the subject. . I think I read you should flip the meat halfway through the cook when using a UDS - True ???

More pics to follow.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke 01-12-2013 10:37 AM

Looks very good so far.

I always cook fat side toward the heat source without flipping. Works for me

Toney Marconi 01-12-2013 10:52 AM

From my limited experience, I have found Butts quite forgiving. I think I've cooked fat side down in the past - not sure what made me put the fat side up this time. I'm hoping it won't make that much difference. I've never flipped using my El Cheapo Electric smoker in the past, but I figured I'd flip because of the more direct heat action of a UDS.

hav 01-12-2013 11:25 AM

You dont have to flip, I usually start fat-side down, wrap in foil fat side up to push through the stall.

Toney Marconi 01-12-2013 11:42 AM

I flipped it anyway. Really just wanted an excuse to peek at the meat.

It's coming along, but it looks awful lonely in there. Next time I'll have to cook more to keep it company.


http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b5...CF82525985.jpg

Mason Dixon Bowhunta 01-12-2013 11:59 AM

Looking good :thumb:

Ron_L 01-12-2013 12:55 PM

Go grab a breakfast sausage log or three and toss them in there!

It's too late now, but I think you need a lot more rub on that baby!

Toney Marconi 01-12-2013 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron_L (Post 2326023)

It's too late now, but I think you need a lot more rub on that baby!

There's more on there than it looks like in the picture. That being said, I purposely used less rub than I normally would as a culinary experiment.

chingador 01-12-2013 01:23 PM

looks awesome. Love the flavor you get from the UDS. You can probably get by with a little less wood chunks though, but that is a personal choice.

chicagokp 01-12-2013 01:26 PM

Looks good. I agree with Ron, you could go much heavier on the rub. Definitely throw some fatties on there! :thumb:

Toney Marconi 01-12-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chingador (Post 2326046)
looks awesome. Love the flavor you get from the UDS. You can probably get by with a little less wood chunks though, but that is a personal choice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicagokp (Post 2326053)
Looks good. I agree with Ron, you could go much heavier on the rub. Definitely throw some fatties on there! :thumb:

Cook, Eat & Learn :biggrin:

Ron_L 01-12-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toney Marconi (Post 2326031)
There's more on there than it looks like in the picture. That being said, I purposely used less rub than I normally would as a culinary experiment.

But wait... You're thread title says it's your first pork butt, but you're using less rub than you normally would? I'm confused?

Toney Marconi 01-12-2013 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron_L (Post 2326103)
But wait... You're thread title says it's your first pork butt, but you're using less rub than you normally would? I'm confused?


You may want to read more than just the thread title. Go back and read the actual post and it should clear it up for you. http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b5...ps6d220939.gif

Ron_L 01-12-2013 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toney Marconi (Post 2326154)
You may want to read more than just the thread title. Go back and read the actual post and it should clear it up for you. http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b5...ps6d220939.gif

You mean this isn't like Playboy?? I have to read, too?

Geez... :crazy:

Still needs more rub :becky:

mtdew456 01-12-2013 04:34 PM

Looks good! I just finished smoking 16 pounds for a party tonight!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.