The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   My buddy is a newbie - is a UDS right for him? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151126)

grilling24x7 01-08-2013 06:18 PM

My buddy is a newbie - is a UDS right for him?

I've been posting a lot about UDS building b/c I'm researching it heavily. I wanted to get a few of my friends in on it so perhaps we could build 3-4 at a time all together. One of my buddies has a big interest in smoking but has never done so alone. He's a newbie to the grilling world. He's watched me smoke a few pork butts and brisket but never tackled the stuff solo.

Is a UDS real hard to get used to compared to let's say a 18.5 inch WSM? Or is it about the same learning curve?

I've been smoking and grilling long enough that I'm certain I can handle any issue that the UDS presents but I'd feel awful if we get these UDSs built and my buddy can't manage it.

So would you think a UDS is a good beginners smoker?

Thanks,

John

Teamfour 01-08-2013 06:26 PM

Yes!

Tim Campbell 01-08-2013 06:27 PM

As a beginner, I was looking for something that can go from 225 to 350 and is easily controllable. If a UDS can do that, it should be fine

Boshizzle 01-08-2013 06:31 PM

Three words: "Most definately YES!" It's also good for seasoned BBQ cooks.

sdbbq1234 01-08-2013 06:34 PM

Yes!

And, there are not too many issues with a UDS other than storing it out of the rain/snow. My storage space is very limited.

wallace

jrn 01-08-2013 08:20 PM

It's the perfect first smoker if you ask me.

Muscrat 01-08-2013 08:26 PM

I would say yeah like everybody else. They are pretty much idiot proof. I've got 2 of them. They don't cook the same though.

cowgirl 01-08-2013 08:27 PM

Another YES here! I think everyone should have at least one. :grin:

woodbutcher1 01-08-2013 09:01 PM

Yup,it sure is the right place for beginners, that is how i got started.
I now have three of them. :thumb:

martyleach 01-08-2013 09:01 PM

Yes, with one caveat. Beginners always want to take the lid off and spritz and whatever. The temperature soars and they burn up their food. Some think that taking the lid off will cool it down.... ??? Leave the stinkin' lid on and let it cook!!

J'ville Grill 01-08-2013 09:14 PM

Your buddy will also have you to guide him along if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gaspipe1 01-08-2013 09:20 PM

UDS is a great 1st smoker. It's offered at a great price point. Can be real cheap with some work or you can go buy one if you have no time.

You can smoke anything in it except for a whole hog so it's versatility is great. Also I think it's real easy to control it's temp.

Once he learns the minion method to start his drum he'll be onto ribs and other delicious Q in no time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BobBrisket 01-08-2013 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyleach (Post 2322067)
Yes, with one caveat. Beginners always want to take the lid off and spritz and whatever. The temperature soars and they burn up their food. Some think that taking the lid off will cool it down.... ??? Leave the stinkin' lid on and let it cook!!

Best thing for him to learn...............Minion and catch the temps on the way up and cover it so it stabilizes. I agree no spritzing and leave the lid on. If you're lookin, ya ain't cookin!:biggrin1:

thirdeye 01-08-2013 11:21 PM

Does your buddy have a grill now? And does he at least cook steaks, chops, wings, sausage and the like? If so it will be easy for him to move into a smoker..... and a drum is as good a choice as any. If not..., starting with a smoker, but not being able to grill sometimes might cause him to loose interest.

davefan360 01-08-2013 11:29 PM

I also vote for a YES.

Or maybe not build him a full size UDS, but a Mini. Get a little 14.5in weber and a 16 gallon drum. he can still learn on it, might not be able to cook 8 pork butts but he could cook one.