The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Pork bulgogi (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151081)

Gore 01-07-2013 09:33 PM

Pork bulgogi
 
Look Ma, I'm actually posting in Q-Talk. :becky:

When we were downtown over Christmas we ate in a restaurant! Actually we ate in two. One was Korean and we had some pork bulgogi. Normally we make beef bulgogi about once a month, but pork was on the menu and this was very different for us. We decided to make some at home. Essentially, I sliced two pork tenderloins as thinly as I could manage, against the grain. This was marinated for about 20 minutes:

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/t...ps4d5e8f2b.jpg

The marinade is
~ 1/2 cup black soy sauce
~ 1/4 cup sugar
a few cloves of crushed garlic
grated ginger
about 2 tbsp of sesame oil
sesame seeds
a spoonful of Red Boat
I think that's about it :roll:

I'd been cooking this on the grill, but I always seem to lose a bit through the grates, so I decided to use this nacho tray (and it's definitely nacho tray :tsk:) to cook them on. I used a bit of olive oil and heated it up > 500* before putting the pork on.

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/t...ps83777483.jpg

I tried to get the pork to brown before turning. We served this on lettuce leaves.

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/t...ps6f06d547.jpg

The pork was pretty tasty and a great alternative to beef bulgogi. It also is a different way of cooking tenderloin, other than the half dozen or so we typically do. It was also fast, since the marinading takes only about 20 minutes. I like the taste of meat cooked directly on the grill better, but the tray made it much easier to cook.

Bigdog 01-07-2013 09:39 PM

Looks good. Maybe next time try grilling it but use a frog mat so you don't loose anything through the grates.:thumb:

Randbo 01-07-2013 09:42 PM

That looks really good! I am adding that to my list of must try.

Gore 01-07-2013 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigdog (Post 2320957)
Looks good. Maybe next time try grilling it but use a frog mat so you don't loose anything threw the grates.:thumb:

That's a great idea, but I believe frogmats are only rated for lower heat. I do have one of those metal vegetable-grilling trays with a bunch of holes it it. I used it before but it was a real pain to clean. Don't get me wrong, this was still very much worth eating and I will be put into the regular rotation, it just could have been a bit better.

Bigdog 01-07-2013 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gore (Post 2320964)
That's a great idea, but I believe frogmats are only rated for lower heat. I do have one of those metal vegetable-grilling trays with a bunch of holes it it. I used it before but it was a real pain to clean. Don't get me wrong, this was still very much worth eating and I will be put into the regular rotation, it just could have been a bit better.

Naw, Andy and I use them when we grill on the YS460 when we have it cranked up and not burned one up yet. Not sure what the max. temp is but it is pretty high as I remember. The metal baskets are cool too, but get a teflon coated one so it is easier to clean, esp when using a sweet marinade like a bulgogi.

Will work for bbq 01-07-2013 11:25 PM

Looks tasty. :thumb:

MisterChrister 01-08-2013 05:19 AM

Looks great from here. Thanks for slumming, err, uhh, I mean sharing on "this side" :razz:

Gore 01-08-2013 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigdog (Post 2320972)
Naw, Andy and I use them when we grill on the YS460 when we have it cranked up and not burned one up yet. Not sure what the max. temp is but it is pretty high as I remember. The metal baskets are cool too, but get a teflon coated one so it is easier to clean, esp when using a sweet marinade like a bulgogi.

Thanks! I checked the frogmat website and they're good to 550*! I had thought it was much lower for some reason.

chicagokp 01-08-2013 06:45 AM

Looks great. Is black soy sauce the same as dark soy sauce?

Phubar 01-08-2013 07:11 AM

Yummm boy!

Johnny_Crunch 01-08-2013 08:09 AM

Looks good. Thanks for the idea and recipe.

Wrench_H 01-08-2013 08:09 AM

Looks great Gore, I'm going to have to steal that one too.

bluetang 01-08-2013 08:14 AM

That is most hittable!

Ron_L 01-08-2013 08:17 AM

Thanks for the pictures and the recipe, Gore!

Al Czervik 01-08-2013 08:39 AM

Wow Gore... That sure does look tasty. :thumb:

p.s. I think you may have want to re-check the spelling. An easy way for me to remember is the old Oscar Meyer commercial...

"Oscar Meyer has a way with b-o-l-o-g-n-a"


:caked:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.