The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Why do we.... (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151055)

Gnaws on Pigs 01-07-2013 05:18 PM

Why do we....
 
argue, fuss and worry so much about what process is used to cook something? To me, if the end product tastes good and doesn't give me tomaine poisoning; I could care less if it was cooked at 150* or 700*, cooked nekkid or wrapped in foil, paper, birch bark, saran wrap, handmade papyrus or kevlar; cooked in a stickburner, kamado, UDS, on a propane grill, in a crockpot, on a stick over a campfire, or a smoker made out of an old portajon; rubbed, sauced, salted, or marinated. I expect food to taste good. That's all. Good food is good food, and there are many means to a successful end.

Discuss. :)

Ron_L 01-07-2013 05:26 PM

There you go being logical...

:becky:

BTW, papyrus is superior to butcher paper, but harder to find :rolleyes:

Ringburner 01-07-2013 05:29 PM

That's what makes it a passion/hobby/calling and not just Cooking.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Chef Country 01-07-2013 05:32 PM

I dunno but anything that's cooked in a crock pot can't be good! I don't even make cheese dip in a crock pot :biggrin1:

MS2SB 01-07-2013 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chef Country (Post 2320534)
I dunno but anything that's cooked in a crock pot can't be good! I don't even make cheese dip in a crock pot

Well there you go casting aspersions on a versatile and useful piece of cooking equipment. May not be the proper tool for BBQ but it certainly has its place in a kitchen. :boxing:

Johnny_Crunch 01-07-2013 05:36 PM

What else would we talk about? :caked:

Gnaws on Pigs 01-07-2013 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chef Country (Post 2320534)
I dunno but anything that's cooked in a crock pot can't be good! I don't even make cheese dip in a crock pot

I'll disagree with that one. I love cooking on a live fire. I love real bbq. But I've eaten some delicious stuff that came out of a crockpot, and I'm not gonna snob and dis a meal cooked in a crock pot as long as it tastes good. As much as I love smoked and grilled food, smoking/grilling is not the ideal means for cooking some things. I make grilled french fries sometimes, but I prefer deep-fried ones. A deer roast cooked in a crockpot is hard to beat, it's about the ideal method to cook it. I'll break out the pan on the rangetop to cook stir-fry instead of cooking it on the smoker. Pasta is generally better boiled than grilled. If it tastes good, I like it, no matter how it's cooked. If it tastes bad, I don't like it. I would rather have a good meal cooked in a crockpot by Jane Doe as a bad one cooked for 14 hours over old-growth cherry coals by the Messiah Franklin. Of course, it's usually better cooked over fire than not, but not always. I've made good bbq hot, slow, wrapped, nekkid, whatever. As long as the end product is good, I'm happy.

BBQ Bandit 01-07-2013 05:44 PM

There's more than one way to get from point A to point B.
Its the journey, my friend... take the scenic route.

Melt In The Sun 01-07-2013 05:44 PM

I won't eat your chicken if you only cooked it to 150 :hand:

WineMaster 01-07-2013 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gnaws on Pigs (Post 2320543)
I'll disagree with that one. I love cooking on a live fire. I love real bbq. But I've eaten some delicious stuff that came out of a crockpot, and I'm not gonna snob and dis a meal cooked in a crock pot as long as it tastes good. As much as I love smoked and grilled food, smoking/grilling is not the ideal means for cooking some things. I make grilled french fries sometimes, but I prefer deep-fried ones. A deer roast cooked in a crockpot is hard to beat, it's about the ideal method to cook it. I'll break out the pan on the rangetop to cook stir-fry instead of cooking it on the smoker. Pasta is generally better boiled than grilled. If it tastes good, I like it, no matter how it's cooked. If it tastes bad, I don't like it. I would rather have a good meal cooked in a crockpot by Jane Doe as a bad one cooked for 14 hours over old-growth cherry coals by the Messiah Franklin. Of course, it's usually better cooked over fire than not, but not always. I've made good bbq hot, slow, wrapped, nekkid, whatever. As long as the end product is good, I'm happy.


The title of your thread confuses me

Gnaws on Pigs 01-07-2013 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQ Bandit (Post 2320548)
There's more than one way to get from point A to point B.
Its the journey, my friend... take the scenic route.

I don't disagree with that, I love nothing better than sitting outside all day with a cold beer and blue smoke rolling. But I'm not gonna put somebody else down if they feed me good food that they cooked on a gas grill wrapped in 'luminum foil, either.

Bludawg 01-07-2013 05:51 PM

Many roads to the same saloon. Some take the bumpy trail on an old pony, some would rather jog on a less likely path, others take a freight train WFO , and some prefer an armored car. They all end up at the same saloon and their conveyance was the best way. Life would be farking boring as watchin paint dry if we all agreed all the time on every detail.

Gnaws on Pigs 01-07-2013 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bludawg (Post 2320570)
Many roads to the same saloon. Some take the bumpy trail on an old pony, some would rather jog on a less likely path, others take a freight train WFO , and some prefer an armored car. They all end up at the same saloon and their conveyance was the best way. Life would be farking boring as watchin paint dry if we all agreed all the time on every detail.

I totally agree. I just don't see the disdain for other people's methods as being inferior if the end result is the same.

Chef Country 01-07-2013 05:56 PM

I didn't realize yall were gunna take me so seriously, when I was younger alot of meals came out of the crock pot, I don't care to ever have another meal out of one

BBQ Bandit 01-07-2013 06:03 PM

Well... will draw the line at faux-que/Crock-Que/boiled ribs.

As long it involves an indirect fire.....


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.