The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Butchers Paper (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151031)

BrewerDJ 01-07-2013 10:59 AM

Butchers Paper
 
Hello all,

I have seen some mention of wrapping meats, mostly Brisket & Butts with butchers paper instead of foil for the resting or cooking time. Does this do the same thing and it's just what the people use or does this have a different effect upon the texture of the meat? I was thinking about giving it a shot but if they do the same thing...?

Thanks

Freddy j 01-07-2013 11:15 AM

good question, ive been wondering as well.

it also seems like some wrap and put back onto the grill; the paper work catch fire?

Smokin' D 01-07-2013 11:33 AM

They do work in a similar manner, with some subtle differences. Foil is a solid material and so will hold the juices better but will not let the meat breathe, and so there is a braising process going on and the meat will cook a bit faster. The paper is slightly porous so less braising will result, as will a longer cook time than when using foil. The paper will not auto-ignite unless unless the temp is above 451.

BrewerDJ 01-07-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokin' D (Post 2320094)
They do work in a similar manner, with some subtle differences. Foil is a solid material and so will hold the juices better but will not let the meat breathe, and so there is a braising process going on and the meat will cook a bit faster. The paper is slightly porous so less braising will result, as will a longer cook time than when using foil. The paper will not auto-ignite unless unless the temp is above 451°.

Your forgot to put "Fahrenheit" near the end of that Ray Bradbury.:mad2:

Seriously though, thanks for the input. Do you think the paper gives better bark? When it's in the foil the bark seems to get soft/soggy.

JS-TX 01-07-2013 11:56 AM

Yes, the bark ends up less soggy. I've used it numerous times on brisket and I do end up with better bark as opposed to foil or going w/out it.

Uncle Buds BBQ 01-07-2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrewerDJ (Post 2320099)
Your forgot to put "Fahrenheit" near the end of that Ray Bradbury.:mad2:

Seriously though, thanks for the input. Do you think the paper gives better bark? When it's in the foil the bark seems to get soft/soggy.

Great movie but paper will auto combust at 450 C (842 F) :flame:

JD McGee 01-07-2013 01:19 PM

I like the idea of butcher paper...but all the good stuff leaks out...:D

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Eggspert 01-07-2013 04:20 PM

I think your meat is less greasy feeling/tasting with butcher paper compared to foil. Also, I think meat can sometimes have a dare I say it, "boiled" appearance and taste in foil compared to butcher's paper. The down side is if you are using some kind of we sauce in with the meat, marinade or BBQ Sauce, honey, etc. That doesn't really work with the paper.

boogiesnap 01-07-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD McGee (Post 2320211)
I like the idea of butcher paper...but all the good stuff leaks out...:D

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

this and what eggspert wrote is what led me away from the paper and to foil.

but i wonder, just now, what the result would be of panning(to catch juice)and cover with butcher paper.....

Swamp Donkeyz BBQ 01-07-2013 05:12 PM

Butcher paper has a flash point around 580 degrees fahrenheit. I looked up a MSDS for it. Curiosity got the best of me on this one.

Uncle Buds BBQ 01-07-2013 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swamp Donkeyz BBQ (Post 2320506)
Butcher paper has a flash point around 580 degrees fahrenheit. I looked up a MSDS for it. Curiosity got the best of me on this one.

Anyone that is running their cooker at 580 or 842 F has other things to worry about than their paper bursting into flames! :doh:

Swamp Donkeyz BBQ 01-07-2013 06:56 PM

Amen Uncle Bud!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Bone to Bark" BBQ 01-07-2013 07:06 PM

Yeah, don't worry about the paper combustion point..... if you catch it on fire, give up cooking and move on. But if you're concerned with better bark texture and consistency, then give it a go! I've used this method with briskets and butts, and find that if you want to keep the juice, wrap it and put it in a pan. You'd be surprised how much liquid you retain though with the paper! Check out the "butcher paper brisket" album on our facebook page: www.facebook.com/bonetobarkbbq

"Bone to Bark" BBQ 01-07-2013 07:08 PM

sorry, bad link above. http://www.facebook.com/bonetobarkbbq

AustinKnight 01-07-2013 08:47 PM

I use it for briskets,butts and ribs its personal preference really do you want KCBS bark or traditional bark, if you said yes to traditional then you should give it a shot. People have been using paper bags and such for many years to cook large meats in and it works.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.