The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   king cake season is officially open (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150823)

deepsouth 01-04-2013 01:03 PM

king cake season is officially open
 
at least in my house. this will be our first king cake of the season. we like them plain (with no fillings), so i have to order them. my favorite place is a vietnamese/french bakery.....

http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/x...54437725CF.jpg

also grabbed some 8" french bread as well as a loaf of rosemary garlic bread, which is banGin with some olive oil and parm, grilled.

msu12181 01-04-2013 01:39 PM

I haven't had the chance to get a king cake ever since I moved to N. Alabama. Used to love ones made by Paul's Pastry Shop in Picayune. May put in an order for the office to have one on Fat Tues.

jestridge 01-04-2013 01:40 PM

Neve rate one

5string 01-04-2013 01:43 PM

Don't bite the baby.

northof8 01-04-2013 01:50 PM

I have to ask, what is a King cake? The colors are perfect for the Packer/Viking game on Saturday.

tnjimbob 01-04-2013 01:51 PM

Paul's Pastry Shop always makes great king cakes.

msu12181 01-04-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by northof8 (Post 2316773)
I have to ask, what is a King cake? The colors are perfect for the Packer/Viking game on Saturday.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_cake

deepsouth 01-04-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tnjimbob (Post 2316775)
Paul's Pastry Shop always makes great king cakes.


i've been real disappointed with them the past few years, but i hear these guys ship as well and are awesome....

http://www.nonnaskingcakes.com/

my place sadly does not ship.

tnjimbob 01-04-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepsouth (Post 2316808)
i've been real disappointed with them the past few years, but i hear these guys ship as well and are awesome....

http://www.nonnaskingcakes.com/

my place sadly does not ship.

Hmm... that's a problem. To be fair, I haven't lived in south MS in many years, but back in the day Paul's was the go-to place. Been gone from there too long to know where to get a good one anymore. :cry:

Teamfour 01-04-2013 02:43 PM

Paul's was always our choice when I lived in Waveland MS and Slidell LA. Randazzos is another great source.

eddieh70301 01-04-2013 02:48 PM

King Cakes are basically over-priced cinnamon rolls.
Most of the grocery stores down here sell them and for the most part they suck.
Never had one that was "fantastic".

deepsouth 01-04-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tnjimbob (Post 2316824)
Hmm... that's a problem. To be fair, I haven't lived in south MS in many years, but back in the day Paul's was the go-to place. Been gone from there too long to know where to get a good one anymore. :cry:


i got mine from pauls up until about three years ago. my other favorite place to get them on the coast is sweet stuff cakes on popps ferry road. le bakery is on oak street down on the point (biloxi).

deepsouth 01-04-2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eddieh70301 (Post 2316837)
King Cakes are basically over-priced cinnamon rolls.
Most of the grocery stores down here sell them and for the most part they suck.
Never had one that was "fantastic".

i'd agree with this, but have you seen the price of cinnamon rolls lately!?

IMO, king cakes can be done well or done cheaply and most of the ones i have seen are done cheaply and are not fantastic. the one in that picture above, fantastic.

eddieh70301 01-04-2013 02:55 PM

Ain't nothing cheap these days.
There are a couple of bakeries locally and their king cakes are no better than the ones at the grocery stores. There is one bakery that makes them and they are probably the best i've had but on the expensive side and you have to order ahead of time.
Haven't bought any this year but I guess I need to at least eat one.

Bama Ron 01-04-2013 03:25 PM

+1 for Randazzo's.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.