The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   New Year's Andouille and Tasso Smoke - Pr0n (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150631)

Teamfour 01-01-2013 06:06 PM

New Year's Andouille and Tasso Smoke - Pr0n

10 Attachment(s)
We are from Louisiana and are tired of not being able to find real sausage here in VA. Yesterday I ground up 10 lbs of pork butt to make andouille. I used the recipe from nolacuisine.com. I used 22mm collagen casings. The sausage was put in the refrigerator overnight to bloom and dry out.

This morning I fired up the BWS Party. I put a 1/2 pan in the fire box and put KB in the remaining gaps along with two chunks of pecan. I lit the end with a Weber cube but ended up dumping about eight briquettes from the chimney to bring the temp up faster since it was in the low 30s outside. This setup worked well. The temps were around 130 for two hours while the thin line of charcoal burned and then went up to 180-200 when the thicker back row and chunks lit up.

The sausage was in smoke for about 5 hours until it hit 155 IT. I then immersed it in ice water for 15 minutes, vacuum sealed it, and in the freezer it went. This smelled and looked fantastic.

While the sausage was smoking, I cut up about four lbs of butt to make Tasso. I used Ruhlman's recipe and cured the meat for four hours, rinsed, and coated in seasoning. I think the meat could have cured for a while longer to get more of a ham texture. After the sausage came out of the smoker, the Tasso went in for about four hours of pecan smoke until it hit 155 IT. I did have to add about a pound of charcoal to the fire box and another chunk to maintain 200 degrees after the sausage came out. Tasso was cooled, sealed, and frozen.

Here are some pictures and ask me questions - I'm sure I left some detail out.

Bluesman 01-01-2013 06:19 PM

I have an empty plate and some really good mustard here. Ah, one link sausage please. looks great.

Militant83 01-01-2013 06:21 PM

Looks great man

boatnut 01-01-2013 07:35 PM

man that looks good. I love that recipe from NOLA cuisine.

jeffjenkins1 01-01-2013 08:34 PM

Looks awesome!

Jeff

Hoss 01-01-2013 08:48 PM

You made NUMEROUS,potentially,hazardous mistakes! :shock:

I will P.M.you with shipping instructions to safely discard of ALL the contaminated product immediately!:becky:

Just funnin,my friend.It looks AWESOME!!!:clap2:

Toast 01-01-2013 10:01 PM

Mighty Fine Sir!

Teamfour 01-02-2013 06:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I had to follow up with a picture of some links fried up and placed on a toasted onion bun with Cowtown sauce. I have eaten some of the best andouille in the world (Jacobs, Veron) and I have to say this blew me away. The texture and taste was amazing - hints of garlic, fresh thyme, pepper, cayenne. Just a little bite on the back end. One issue: since I sliced the links length-wise, the collagen casing shrunk and peeled off.

buffalotom 01-02-2013 07:13 PM

Man, that looks GREAT!! I am drooling at my desk thinking about it.

Garyclaw 01-02-2013 07:30 PM

Looks and sounds fantastic! The casing peeling back can't be a bad thing either. I usually don't like the casing anyway.