The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Who Else Can't Stand MSG? (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150066)

Wesman61 12-23-2012 03:15 PM

Who Else Can't Stand MSG?

My Mom used MSG all the time when I was in my teens (70's) I made some ribs a week ago and used some store bought rub without checking. It had MSG listed second. I was really disappointed with the outcome mostly because of the metallic taste the MSG imparts.

yakdung 12-23-2012 03:21 PM

One of the very few things I'm allergic to. It will cause tightening of my chest.
:shock:

Bluebird 12-23-2012 03:32 PM

Sometimes it will give me a terrible headache.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke 12-23-2012 03:37 PM

Never has bothered me but I never knowingly use or eat it.

buccaneer 12-23-2012 03:53 PM

Me.
Anything that dehydrates me and gives me sensations after consuming is not to be consumed.
Common sense rule.:icon_shy

Edit after reading excited raves on how to discuss MSG;
This is from observing effects on my own body.
I stated it knowing full well the FDA findings and conclusions, but since I observed these effects despite believing all I had read,I would need to suffer insanity to deny reality and follow a belief.
YMMV

Bluesman 12-23-2012 03:59 PM

Read this

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...&highlight=msg

:grin:

Boshizzle 12-23-2012 04:42 PM

After dealing with digestion issues for over 25 years, only by the grace of God did the true cause of my problems ever get diagnosed. Nowadays, I can eat anything without a problem. There was a time when I was on 40mg Nexium twice a day and still had issues even when watching my diet. My doctor told me I'd have to be on that stuff for the rest of my life. He was wrong! I haven't had Nexium, Prilosec, Prevacid, Axid, Pepcid, or any other acid reducer/blocker for over seven years. It was like a miracle when I was properly diagnosed and treated.

Bring on the MSG! It doesn't bother me.

mallorjc 12-23-2012 05:58 PM

I've never noticed a metallic taste (maybe it was those4 years in Shanghai), or any particular benefit. Won't try to avoid, and will not add.

J-Rod 12-23-2012 07:39 PM

I avoid anything that's not a necessary ingredient in food. So unless I'm eating Doritos, which is a rare occasion, I don't eat anyhing with MSG.

Pappy Q 12-23-2012 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boshizzle (Post 2305188)
After dealing with digestion issues for over 25 years, only by the grace of God did the true cause of my problems ever get diagnosed. Nowadays, I can eat anything without a problem. There was a time when I was on 40mg Nexium twice a day and still had issues even when watching my diet. My doctor told me I'd have to be on that stuff for the rest of my life. He was wrong! I haven't had Nexium, Prilosec, Prevacid, Axid, Pepcid, or any other acid reducer/blocker for over seven years. It was like a miracle when I was properly diagnosed and treated.

Bring on the MSG! It doesn't bother me.

If you don't mind me asking, what was diagnosed? I ask because I have the same issues.

Boshizzle 12-23-2012 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pappy Q (Post 2305326)
If you don't mind me asking, what was diagnosed? I ask because I have the same issues.

Check your PM.

SmokinAussie 12-23-2012 08:16 PM

I never use it, and have never used it in asian food at all. In the restraurant I worked in through college, they put it in everything. It was in the stock, the fried rice, the batter, the marinaded meats... everything. When I cook similar foods at home, I never use it and the food is way better anyway as you taste the natural ingredients. The food is not masked with that all intruding MSG flavour.

In particular, the thing that concerns me is the use of MSG in injections for Brisket and pulled pork. If you have to use that ingredient to make a winning competition brisket... you shouldn't be winning.

Cheers!

Bill

caliking 12-23-2012 08:21 PM

Gluten is the new MSG (unless you have medically diagnosed celiac disease).

Pass it on.

Boshizzle 12-23-2012 08:23 PM

My wife has celiac sprue. It's become a very prevalent problem nowadays for a lot of people, unfortunately.

Soybomb 12-23-2012 08:35 PM

I don't believe in the msg boogey man, I think its a useful tool in my spice rack.