The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Electric knife revisited. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149406)

Mo-Dave 12-12-2012 08:20 PM

Electric knife revisited.

The recent thread about electric knives, reminded me I bought one at a garage sale about 3 years ago, thinking I would use it to slice brisket at competitions. It turned out that I did not care for the marks it left on the slices so I never used it again.

Anyway I dug it out cleaned it up and tried slicing some ham, as it turned out I decided it was not for me, manly because I did not like the way it jitters and shakes in my hand. This is a Black and Decker and when I could get it to slice on the spot I wanted, it did ok but it was very hard to control, will not likely use it again.

Knowing that because of the reciprocating action of the blades I expected some movement but this is excessive to me and wonder it they all are like this, or are there better brands with a smother action. Do you have this problem or is it just mine. I really don't see the benefit in using one if you have a good knife.
Dave

wjwheeler 12-12-2012 08:57 PM

We use a Cuisinart in comps for ribs, pork and brisket. We have 4 180s in brisket, so marks haven't been an issue. I had a B&D and it is not even close to the quality of the Cuisinart.

Scooter B 12-13-2012 09:45 AM

I use a Piranha from Mister Twister. It is specificly designed for cleaning salt water game fish, but does a great job on just about anything. It is much faster than a standard electric and has curved blades like a filet knife. It is a turkey's worst knightmare.

WineMaster 12-13-2012 09:50 AM

I have the Rappala cordless. It only has 2 sets of serated blades and not one like a bread knife. It leaves marks I dont like.

Jaskew82 12-13-2012 09:55 AM

I use the electric knife linked below and absolutely love it. I use it in competition for brisket.

Mdboatbum 12-13-2012 10:02 AM

I have one I got for slicing bread. Does a great job on that, but haven't used it for much else. Can't remember what brand it is, but it was fairly cheap.

wjwheeler 12-13-2012 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaskew82 (Post 2295885)
I use the electric knife linked below and absolutely love it. I use it in competition for brisket.

Cuisinart CEK-40 Electric Knife: Amazon.com: Home & Kitchen

That's the one!
For what it's worth that's what Myron uses and I think Trigg uses one also.

RAZORBACK JIM 12-13-2012 09:01 PM

A very good...very sharp knife is all you need. It will cost more than the electric knives. JMO.

Mo-Dave 12-14-2012 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAZORBACK JIM (Post 2296474)
A very good...very sharp knife is all you need. It will cost more than the electric knives. JMO.

I think I will have to agree, unless I found one of the better ones at a sale, I would rather put my money on a better knife even if a bit more.
Dave

gooose53 12-14-2012 12:10 PM

Same one I use at comps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaskew82 (Post 2295885)

Cuisinart CEK-40 Electric Knife: Amazon.com: Home & Kitchen

retired trucker 12-14-2012 12:55 PM

I tried one several years ago, and wound up at the emergency room for stitches!!:loco: Went home and threw it in the trash. Never again. :redface: