The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Porky's Revenge Chili (recipe) (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149157)

enasnidx 12-08-2012 04:14 PM

Porky's Revenge Chili (recipe)

I brewed up a batch of some homemade chili the other week. It was a first attempt but I really liked the way it turned out. I've finally learned to take notes when I make up recipes so that I can repeat or fix them as needed. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures :doh:. However, I thought I'd throw out the recipe for y'all to try if you like. It's a great way to use left over pulled pork (is there such a thing?).

Porky's Revenge Chili
5 cups of smoked, pulled pork (about 1.25 lbs.)
1 lb. of thick-cut bacon, chopped
2 bell peppers, chopped (I like yellow for asthetics :mrgreen:)
2 medium onions, chopped
3 medium tomatoes, cut in large chunks
2 cloves of garlic, minced
4 cans (pints) tomato sauce
1 can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped (with sauce)
2 (15 oz.) cans pinto beans, drained & rinsed
1 (15 oz.) can dark red kidney beans, drained & rinsed
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained & rinsed
1/4 c. honey
1/4 c. chili powder
2 t. ground cumin
1 t. dried oregano
1 t. dried basil
1/2 t. black pepper

1. Fry chopped bacon in large kettle until browned. Add onion, bell pepper and garlic. Saute for 5 min.
2. Add remaining ingredients
3. Cover and simmer for about 1.5 hours

Yields just over a gallon.

I know, I know. Beans. But I like 'em :cool:. I made this recipe using all the sauce from the chipotles. This is where all the heat is. I would rate it at about medium-hot. Kids won't like it. Adults will sweat a little, but that's necessary no? If you like it a little less spicy, add less of the adobo sauce (or none). I love the texture of pulled pork and large chunks of vegetables in there. Anyway, give it a shot. I think you'll like it.

Bluebird 12-09-2012 05:25 AM

Sounds great!

poppa smoke 12-09-2012 06:13 AM

Chili is not chili with out beans and HEAT .where would the fun be the next day ?

RAZORBACK JIM 12-09-2012 09:13 AM

I will have to give that a try!!

Brian in Maine 12-09-2012 10:01 AM

That sounds good. I'll give it a try.

enasnidx 12-09-2012 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poppa smoke (Post 2292112)
Chili is not chili with out beans and HEAT .where would the fun be the next day ?

Now you know why it's called Porky's Revenge :heh: