The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Dry Rub, and BBQ sauce fundamentals. Input from real pitmasters wanted. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148752)

Flying_Spaghetti_Monster 12-01-2012 10:04 AM

Dry Rub, and BBQ sauce fundamentals. Input from real pitmasters wanted.
 
Looking for Dry Rub, Baste, and BBQ sauce recipes or fundamentals.
My dry rub consist of
Paprika
Seasoning salt
Black pepper
Ground Ginger
Ground Cumin
Ground Mustard
Brown Sugar
Sugar
Garlic powder

Looking for other ideas or even recipes of BBQ basics Mainly pertaining to pork shoulders, and ribs. I mainly use apple if that helps with spice pairing.
Maybe some competition guys will speak up.

Yakfishingfool 12-01-2012 10:18 AM

yup...thats the list. You now have 99% of all rubs....now sit down in small batches and play with ratio's. Find the one you like and use it. In your mixing consider what flavors are hitting your palate first, second and what is the finish? Want some salty, sweet and burn going on. Have fun! Personally I use rib rub number 5 at home. Scott

Flying_Spaghetti_Monster 12-01-2012 10:28 AM

Also some input on what flavor profiles basic ingredients have. Like brown sugar for sweetness.

sweetheatbbq 12-01-2012 10:50 AM

If you are looking for a good basic rub just look up Chris Lilly Championship rub. All the ingredients and ratios are online. I used that a lot but just kicked up the cayenne.

code3rrt 12-01-2012 12:38 PM

You'll certainly get all the info you need here, but essentially it will come down to your own personal tastes, but it is a lot of fun experimenting along the way.

I'm certainly no pitmaster here, just my .02 based on my personal experience combined with all the advice I've gotten from the brethren.

bmonkman 12-01-2012 01:33 PM

My wife and I are in the midst of the "try this and try that" phase. I have learned there is no magic bullet and what works for one won't work for someone else.

Also, if you are thinking competition and wanting to get ideas to use - you will find most folks will give you general guidance and expect you to run with that. Don't expect detailed specifics. It could happen, but that is the exception, not the norm.

Brian

captndan 12-01-2012 02:07 PM

SPG&P is the base for most any rub. Start there and go from there. KISS

Bludawg 12-01-2012 02:16 PM

I'll give you a little secret on the Sweet component. Use Splenda the Sweet carries over better and it don't scorch or clump up. I used to do all that mass mixing any more it is GOSP and maybe some GP For 95% of every thing I do. Let the meat be all it can be.

landarc 12-01-2012 02:23 PM

Unless you are very experienced with spices and blending, more than 5 or 6 ingredients and you will be muddying up the flavors of the spices you are using.

Balance is important, each flavor must be balanced in a spice blend, there is no point in adding a spice if you cannot taste it.

You cannot effectively evaluate any rub or sauce without cooking it onto meat, in smoke. Weird stuff happens once you add heat and smoke.

Test out the rub first, if the rub doesn't work, the sauce will not fix it. Then add the sauce ideas, until it complements the rub and meat.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke 12-01-2012 02:26 PM

Here is a good hint for you. Use country style ribs to test out your various rub combinations. It's much faster and cheaper than using full butts.

captndan 12-02-2012 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landarc (Post 2285938)
Unless you are very experienced with spices and blending, more than 5 or 6 ingredients and you will be muddying up the flavors of the spices you are using.

Balance is important, each flavor must be balanced in a spice blend, there is no point in adding a spice if you cannot taste it.

You cannot effectively evaluate any rub or sauce without cooking it onto meat, in smoke. Weird stuff happens once you add heat and smoke.

Test out the rub first, if the rub doesn't work, the sauce will not fix it. Then add the sauce ideas, until it complements the rub and meat.

I couldn't have said it better! :clap:

QTEX 12-02-2012 11:46 AM

here ya go, really really should buy this book, much better than his second book imo.


Flying_Spaghetti_Monster 12-02-2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmonkman (Post 2285901)
My wife and I are in the midst of the "try this and try that" phase. I have learned there is no magic bullet and what works for one won't work for someone else.

Also, if you are thinking competition and wanting to get ideas to use - you will find most folks will give you general guidance and expect you to run with that. Don't expect detailed specifics. It could happen, but that is the exception, not the norm.

Brian

I am fully aware of this. I don't plan on ever cooking in the competition circuit. I have never been the type of person to jump through ridiculous hoops. Seriously who serves BBQ on a bed of lettuce :/

PatioDaddio 12-02-2012 01:13 PM

AmazingRibs.com is another great resource. I know Meathead personally and he puts a ton of passion into his work. I call him The Barbecue Whisperer. Dude is like a fluffier and fuzzier Alton Brown.

John

Enkidu 12-02-2012 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatioDaddio (Post 2286643)
AmazingRibs.com is another great resource. I know Meathead personally and he puts a ton of passion into his work. I call him The Barbecue Whisperer. Dude is like a fluffier and fuzzier Alton Brown.

John

+1

I use his stuff all the time!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:24 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.