The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Thoughts on smoking woods (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148402)

Drh7003 11-25-2012 06:04 AM

Thoughts on smoking woods
 
Hey everybody...
I have a few different hardwoods I use when I smoke. We are fortunate that there is an orchard nearby that sells wood in the off season at a reasonable price.
Hickory I use for many meats and fish
Apple is my go to for Pork
Cherry and poultry always works for me

I would like to get some peach and pecan yet, to give them a try. I never seem to get to peach before it is all gone.

What are your thoughts on wood vs meat combinations?

Diesel-Dan 11-25-2012 07:17 AM

Being down here in the south we have an abundance of mesquite and pecan. I love pecan for the melow smoke flavor you get. Mesquite is a bit stong. So i cut with oak to mellow it out. With that being said I use post oak a lot as well. Good all around flavor and heat.

My fav is hickory. Just love the smell and taste!

I wish we had a better supplier of bulk wood here where i could get fruit woods. I want to try apple and cherry. But cant seem to find anything larger than just chips or chunks.

Harbormaster 11-25-2012 07:25 AM

I like a hickory/apple blend on pork, but sometimes I'll go straight hickory especially on ribs.

Oak and cherry for beef.

And I love birch on my chicken.

Rich Parker 11-25-2012 07:43 AM

I use peach or pecan for everything.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke 11-25-2012 08:26 AM

My favorites are:

Post oak or, if you can't get it, white oak for beef.
Cherry or hickory for Pork.
Sugar maple and/or corn cobs for chicken.

Desert Hawg 11-25-2012 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke (Post 2280371)
My favorites are:

Post oak or, if you can't get it, white oak for beef.
Cherry or hickory for Pork.
Sugar maple and/or corn cobs for chicken.

Have heard of, but never tried the corn cobs. May have to try it. My go to woods are, cherry, pecan, sugar maple, peach and apple. Have used almond once or twice.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke 11-25-2012 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desert Hawg (Post 2280375)
Have heard of, but never tried the corn cobs. May have to try it. My go to woods are, cherry, pecan, sugar maple, peach and apple. Have used almond once or twice.

Very nice mild smoke for chicken or turkey which can easily be over smoked.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...sandROLump.jpg

jrn 11-25-2012 09:22 AM

I'd heard of corn cobs before. Think I'll try it! Looks like you're using about 3 cobs per cook?

HeSmellsLikeSmoke 11-25-2012 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrn (Post 2280404)
I'd heard of corn cobs before. Think I'll try it! Looks like you're using about 3 cobs per cook?

They are distributed throughout the lump. I would guess there were six or seven in there.

Westexbbq 11-25-2012 10:16 AM

I just cooked a pork butt and 3 racks of backs using cherry and apple. Love pecan when I can get it along with peach. As stated above, mesquite can be over-strong so I do cut it with hickory or oak.

qnbiker 11-25-2012 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drh7003 (Post 2280318)
Hey everybody...
I have a few different hardwoods I use when I smoke. We are fortunate that there is an orchard nearby that sells wood in the off season at a reasonable price.
Hickory I use for many meats and fish
Apple is my go to for Pork
Cherry and poultry always works for me

I would like to get some peach and pecan yet, to give them a try. I never seem to get to peach before it is all gone.

What are your thoughts on wood vs meat combinations?

Interesting. Generally, I use hickory for pork, beef, and anything else that can stand strong smoke. I use cherry and/or apple for poultry and things that can be over-smoked. Sometimes I combine them. Once in a while, I use oak; it's good for anything. To each his own as long as you are pleased with your results. I remember my first turkey breast smoked with several chunks of hickory.:tsk:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.