The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   total failure (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148267)

mbshop 11-22-2012 05:50 PM

total failure

was gonna rotisserie mine using my ez que in my char griller as i have done before. but the bird was bigger, 18 lbs. this turned out to be the breaking point. firstly, i built a holder that holds coals on the side. this has shown to work well before. but with the bigger bird, the hold down arms wouldn't clear that rack. so i dumped the coals on the coal grate. so now i started to run the rotiss. but a problem popped up. the shaft came loose cuz the motor was jerky and loosend the shaft up. so i had to tighten this twice.
but by then the motor started to strain and then just stopped running.
it was a sunbeam setup and i just thought it would be ok as it worked before on smaller turkey's. but that bird was just to much for it. i couldn't attach my weber motor cuz it wouldn't fit on the bracket. plus all this time with an open lid allowed the coals to burn uncontrolled. so i gave up and stuck the bird in the oven. so now i got some work to do so i can fit the
weber motor on and make a differant holder so the ez que can be used.
so not to happy right now but thats how we learn.

Meat Burner 11-22-2012 06:22 PM

george, sounds like you still have a plan so good for you. It will be just fine bro!

MisterChrister 11-22-2012 07:33 PM

Sorry to hear about the trouble you had George. Still wishin' ya a Happy Thanksgiving and I'm thankful that you always have the time to post a nice comment for all the Bruddahs! Better luck next time pal!

N8man 11-22-2012 07:34 PM

Hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

Shadowdog500 11-22-2012 10:23 PM

I also had the rotisserie on my junk ducane gas grill break on thanksgiving day. Luckily I checked on it before there was a problem and we tossed it in the oven. The weber rotisserie attachment for my 22 charcoal will handle a big bird. I'm planning to smoke my first on Saturday.

Chris

mbshop 11-23-2012 12:57 AM

thanks guys. yea, after this all happened i remembered that i was supposed to fit the weber motor over a year ago. will happen this weekend !!

code3rrt 11-23-2012 01:01 AM

Improvisation......seems to be a bigger part of BBQ than one might have thought. Way to rebound!

willbird 11-23-2012 09:32 AM

Was it a matter of the bird not being balanced ?? It should not take much energy to rotate a balanced load ??

mbshop 11-23-2012 04:39 PM

i was using my ez que setup. yes, it was unbalanced but not enough to me to cause a problem. its hard if not possible to balance the food using an ez que.

Quote:

Originally Posted by willbird (Post 2278944)
Was it a matter of the bird not being balanced ?? It should not take much energy to rotate a balanced load ??