The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Hickory Stronger Than Pecan, or Not? (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148134)

HeSmellsLikeSmoke 11-20-2012 02:55 PM

Hickory Stronger Than Pecan, or Not?
 
It has not been my opinion or experience, but I was suprised to see that Aaron Franklin states that pecan is a stronger smoke than hickory in his BBQ with Franklin YouTube series.


What say the Brethren?

Cliff H. 11-20-2012 02:58 PM

I say no.

deguerre 11-20-2012 02:59 PM

Can't say personally as I've never had any pecan wood to try.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke 11-20-2012 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deguerre (Post 2276755)
Can't say personally as I've never had any pecan wood to try.

The pecan I have was bagged from HEB in the Austin area. It is pretty dry, but is much milder than the bagged hickory I have used over the years.

cowgirl 11-20-2012 03:03 PM

I must lead a sheltered life, I've never heard of Aaron Franklin. :oops:

deguerre 11-20-2012 03:04 PM

I really wonder too if it makes a difference when you're doing a TOTAL wood fired cook VS charcoal/chunks.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke 11-20-2012 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowgirl (Post 2276758)
I must lead a sheltered life, I've never heard of Aaron Franklin. :oops:

He runs Franklin BBQ in Austin. It has made quite the splash in the news the last couple of years, but I would much rather eat your cooking, given the choice.:mrgreen:

HeSmellsLikeSmoke 11-20-2012 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deguerre (Post 2276760)
I really wonder too if it makes a difference when you're doing a TOTAL wood fired cook VS charcoal/chunks.

Good thought.

Gore 11-20-2012 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowgirl (Post 2276758)
I must lead a sheltered life, I've never heard of Aaron Franklin. :oops:

This should help jar your memory :thumb:


cowgirl 11-20-2012 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke (Post 2276764)
He runs Franklin BBQ in Austin. It has made quite the splash in the news the last couple of years, but I would much rather eat your cooking, given the choice.:mrgreen:

lol Thanks! :hug: :mrgreen:

Cliff H. 11-20-2012 03:14 PM

Pecan burns very hot.

I have always heard it referred to as
" hickory lite"

cowgirl 11-20-2012 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gore (Post 2276767)
This should help your jar your memory :thumb:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaZx6kGs7pg

lol I've never heard of that one either... Thanks Gore!! :mrgreen:

HeSmellsLikeSmoke 11-20-2012 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gore (Post 2276767)
This should help your jar your memory :thumb:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaZx6kGs7pg

Thanks for finding that. It is still one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

Fat Woody 11-20-2012 03:20 PM

I say we just had this discussion about a week or so back (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...php?t=147556); I don't think it's any stronger, but then I'm no Aaron Franklin. It would be interesting to know which type of hickory he is comparing pecan with though...

Personally I favor pecan for long cooks and just about any meat.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke 11-20-2012 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Woody (Post 2276777)
I say we just had this discussion about a week or so back (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...php?t=147556); I don't think it's any stronger, but then I'm no Aaron Franklin. It would be interesting to know which type of hickory he is comparing pecan with though...

Personally I favor pecan for long cooks and just about any meat.

Dang! I missed that thread.

Never mind everybody. :redface:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.