The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Vacuum Sealer (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147930)

Porcine Perfection 11-17-2012 09:27 AM

Vacuum Sealer

I have had two vacuum sealers and neither one of them have worked very well. Can anyone give me a recommendation of one you have had success with? There are so many at such different prices.

Thanks in advance.

"You don't win friends with salad!" - Homer Simpson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PapaBearsHickoryPit 11-17-2012 10:58 AM

Which ones have you used before?

superdan 11-17-2012 10:58 AM

I have a Vac Master VP 112 chamber sealer. It's really nice but pricey. After going through 3 others I went for this and so far so good.

Swamp Donkeyz BBQ 11-17-2012 11:01 AM

Usually vacuum sealers are one of those things where you get what you pay for. The higher priced ones generally last longer. I've got a Foodsaver that I've had for years and it still works fine. If memory serves me correct it was a little over $200.

mrcranky 11-17-2012 11:56 AM

I've been using a foodsaver for years. They work pretty good. Not always perfect, but it depends on what you are vacuum sealing.

They go on sale often. Check out/search a deal site like slickdeals.net. I just have a basic electric model. I have no need for the fancier ones.

colonel00 11-17-2012 12:08 PM

Yep, keep an eye out for foodsaver deals. I have been using a Foodsaver 2200 series (not sure the exact model) for several years now for light usage around the house. It does really well and can handle a good workout. When my buddies and I do mass processing of fish or game, we have a VacMaster VP 215 chamber sealer that is awesome but extremely pricey for basic home usage.

Southstar Jeff 11-17-2012 12:19 PM

I love my vacmaster, too. They do cost more, but I'd bet I've almost saved the cost in bags. The chamber vacuum bags are much cheaper. I use mostly the large boil in the bag type, great for reheating que, and think I paid about .09 each....

superdan 11-17-2012 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southstar Jeff (Post 2274057)
I love my vacmaster, too. They do cost more, but I'd bet I've almost saved the cost in bags. The chamber vacuum bags are much cheaper. I use mostly the large boil in the bag type, great for reheating que, and think I paid about .09 each....

Excellent point, I got a couple thousand bags when I bought mine and haven't run out yet...

Porcine Perfection 11-17-2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PapaBearsHickoryPit (Post 2274006)
Which ones have you used before?

A Rival and a cheaper FoodSaver model. I don't mind spending a bit more if it works.

"You don't win friends with salad!" - Homer Simpson

IamMadMan 11-17-2012 03:45 PM

The Vac Master Units are great, I looked at them when I was shopping for a sealer. I went with the Weston 2300 so I could use containers for marinating and bags for storage. I also like the readily available rebuild kit rather then sending it back for repairs.

I have heavily used my Weston without any problems.

http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/Ima...00%20530Ho.jpg
Weston 2300

But as Swamp Donkeyz BBQ States, "You Get What You Pay For".

The Vac Master is nice because the whole pouch sits inside the Vacuum Chamber.

---k--- 11-17-2012 03:52 PM

I have a V3840 for a year or two now. Seems to work just fine. If I am sealing a lot (like 20 bags) it seems to go into a protection mode and needs to rest for 10 minutes. But other than that the only problems I've had are bits of food in the seal causing it not to seal.

yakdung 11-17-2012 06:12 PM

Short of a chamber vacuum sealer, I own and recommend a Weston 2300.

Gnaws on Pigs 11-17-2012 08:18 PM

I've had a lot of good years of service out of my Kenmore.

Spartan_Jeff 11-17-2012 11:54 PM

We have a small Foodsaver and it works great. The Foodsaver website has clearance items sometimes, picked ours up for 20 bucks delivered.

NRA4Life 11-18-2012 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IamMadMan (Post 2274174)
I went with the Weston 2300 so I could use containers for marinating and bags for storage. I also like the readily available rebuild kit rather then sending it back for repairs.

I have heavily used my Weston without any problems.

http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/Ima...00%20530Ho.jpg
Weston 2300

+1 for the Weston Pro 2300. I've had one for 2 years now and it is an excellent quality product. I owned several of the cheap thow-away sealers, and got tired of repeatedly buying junk. Sure it costs a little more, but you get what you pay for.