The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   ranch style beans (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147877)

northern smokey 11-16-2012 09:08 AM

ranch style beans
 
for some reason these beans keep popping up on threads and recipes i have been looking at. i googled them and it seems these are very much loved and enjoyed. i have been wanting to try them but i live in the far north of canada and shipping them would be a bit much. i have found a bloggers site for a recipe that i will be trying. so i am asking if the brethren can look at the recipe amd tell me if this is what i am looking for or if there is anything i need to add that is not in there.
http://homesicktexan.blogspot.ca/201...ns-recipe.html
thank you

Bludawg 11-16-2012 09:12 AM

That gal hails from my area and her stuff is spot on my recipe is similar and has 1 tsp granulated garlic.

SmokeFan 11-16-2012 09:21 AM

This doesn't really answer your questions, but I got her book last year, and have really enjoyed the recipes I've tried. Lots of good stuff in there!

northern smokey 11-16-2012 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bludawg (Post 2273146)
That gal hails from my area and her stuff is spot on my recipe is similar and has 1 tsp granulated garlic.

is this in addition to the fresh garlic or in place of

long haired hippie 11-16-2012 10:44 AM

As a homesick Texan, I feel I must forward the source. Shipping ain't much. You might also check shipping costs/availability at H.E.B., the largest grocery chain in Texas.
http://www.conagrafoods.com/consumer...ge=ranch_style
http://www.heb.com/home/home.jsp%3bjsessionid=21D087AEF024C655F8971532A620 3E75.dEleIgOroGManki-iM5P-Bag7siTC

long haired hippie 11-16-2012 10:48 AM

P.S
Some Wal-Marts carry Ranch Style Beans up here-

SmokeFan 11-16-2012 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by northern smokey (Post 2273142)
for some reason these beans keep popping up on threads and recipes i have been looking at. i googled them and it seems these are very much loved and enjoyed. i have been wanting to try them but i live in the far north of canada and shipping them would be a bit much. i have found a bloggers site for a recipe that i will be trying. so i am asking if the brethren can look at the recipe amd tell me if this is what i am looking for or if there is anything i need to add that is not in there.
http://homesicktexan.blogspot.ca/201...ns-recipe.html
thank you

To add to my above post... I happened to have some pintos I'd soaked over night, already in the crock pot to go with the brisket I'm working on today. I did just have some bacon in there, chicken broth, and some Fiesta Pinto Seasoning in the pot.

Now, I went and tweaked them a bit riffing off Fain's recipe. Jazzed em up with 3 anchos, 1 chipotle, and 5 cloves of garlic. Toasted the anchos and chipotle quickly in my iron skillet, let them soak a bit in some water in the skillet. Then made a puree of the peppers and garlic, and threw it in the pot with some Mexican oregano and a shot of apple cider vinegar. I figure the Fiesta Seasoning covers the other spices,or at least comes close according to the label. Dang, that was just what they needed!

Beans still have a way to go, but wow that smells good. How long till dinner?

I'll let you know how close to Ranch Style I come.

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/...60834FE55E.jpg

Westexbbq 11-16-2012 11:31 AM

I know Lisa Fain as well and even have her book; it is a righteous read in my opinion. I tried the recipe for ranch style beans and thought they turned out real good, pretty darn close to the originals "out of the can".
Give em a try and enjoy. (basic ranch style beans are just good pintos swimming in a chili sauce.....)

Bludawg 11-16-2012 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokeFan (Post 2273263)
To add to my above post... I happened to have some pintos I'd soaked over night, already in the crock pot to go with the brisket I'm working on today. I did just have some bacon in there, chicken broth, and some Fiesta Pinto Seasoning in the pot.

Now, I went and tweaked them a bit riffing off Fain's recipe. Jazzed em up with 3 anchos, 1 chipotle, and 5 cloves of garlic. Toasted the anchos and chipotle quickly in my iron skillet, let them soak a bit in some water in the skillet. Then made a puree of the peppers and garlic, and threw it in the pot with some Mexican oregano and a shot of apple cider vinegar. I figure the Fiesta Seasoning covers the other spices,or at least comes close according to the label. Dang, that was just what they needed!

Beans still have a way to go, but wow that smells good. How long till dinner?

I'll let you know how close to Ranch Style I come.

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/...60834FE55E.jpg

That pic made me smile and hungry I have some fresh tortillas and some ice cold Shinners:biggrin1:

Westexbbq 11-16-2012 01:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My zip code is beyond the 100 mile limit from a HEB (probably more like 2,000) so I guess it helps to have family in Texas.
Ditto on the tortillas and Shiner!

STCL01 11-16-2012 03:21 PM

I never thought about not being able to go the the store and buy Ranch Style Beans!!! The horror!

Jaspaq 11-16-2012 04:51 PM

I can not imagine life without ranch style beans:confused:

Pitmaster T 11-16-2012 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by long haired hippie (Post 2273233)
As a homesick Texan, I feel I must forward the source. Shipping ain't much. You might also check shipping costs/availability at H.E.B., the largest grocery chain in Texas.
http://www.conagrafoods.com/consumer...ge=ranch_style
http://www.heb.com/home/home.jsp%3bj...-iM5P-Bag7siTC

there were two thing my fam sent me when i was in connecticut. ft worth ranch style beans and big red soda

Boshizzle 11-16-2012 11:00 PM

And Texans don't like chili with beans in it? Pahleeze! Add some ground beef to those beans and you got chili with beans.

JazzyBadger 11-17-2012 01:16 AM

I love beans in my chili. Bred in Texas, born in Texas. Mother was born in New Mexico though. Raised in Mexico for most of her life.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.