The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Commercial Rubs And Color (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147835)

Q-Dat 11-15-2012 01:20 PM

Commercial Rubs And Color
 
OK first off let me start by saying that I have ZERO intentions of trying to figure out any rub makers secret formula Brethren or otherwise. Ok? Good.

Secondly, I also am very aware that color and flavor have nothing to do with each other, so I will not be needing anyone to inform me of this and that I should just not worry about it. Lets please keep this to discussion of rub color, and not whether it matters.

I have noticed that many commercial rubs have a color that is much brighter and deeper than any rub concotion that I have made at home. Two examples are Yardbird, and Lotta Bull Red Dirt. They have a bright orangeish redness to them that looks really great. Neither of the labels on these say anything about artificial coloring, which I believe would be required by law to list if it was there, so that rules that out.

I know without a doubt that many of the rubs that I have made at home have similar amounts of everything that might be responsible for the color (paprika, chiles, etc) yet its not even close.

So this is my question. Do you think its a simple matter of the rub makers having access to much fresher ingredients, or maybe it has something to do with the mixing process?

This perplexes me.

chad 11-15-2012 01:26 PM

Tumeric and plenty of paprika. If you want a really funky red/orange color add some anchote paste.

Ryan Chester 11-15-2012 01:28 PM

Freshness can have something to do with it but spices that are typically labeled under "spices" can add some big colors. For example, turmeric will give you a bright yellow/orange color. Think beyond chiles.

Q-Dat 11-15-2012 01:42 PM

Turmeric......Now why the heck didn't I think of that! :confused:

landarc 11-15-2012 01:46 PM

I think many co-packers have access to ingredients and formulations of ingredients that vary from what most of us use at home as well. I am curious why you ask, do you think the color of the rub changes the color of the finished product?

Q-Dat 11-15-2012 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landarc (Post 2272495)
I think many co-packers have access to ingredients and formulations of ingredients that vary from what most of us use at home as well. I am curious why you ask, do you think the color of the rub changes the color of the finished product?

I think it just might. I know that when I cook ribs with Yardbird right next to my own rub, the Plowboys slab will be noticably redder, but not in an unnatural way. I prefer the taste of my own, but in KCBS they seem to love that bright color.

AZScott 11-15-2012 01:54 PM

Paprika oil

Q-Dat 11-15-2012 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZScott (Post 2272503)
Paprika oil

Ya know that makes so much sense because if you look closely at these rubs, it looks like the individual grains are all the same basic color.

But wouldn't oil shorten the shelf life? I use it in tiny amounts sometimes when I want to keep rubs with different grain size from separating. I've never kept it for long though.

landarc 11-15-2012 02:18 PM

To be honest, I use Ryan Chesters rubs, and for the most part, I can recreate the look pretty closely in terms of color. There is no magic. I have to say, that whatever Steph does to his rubs, the Simply Marvelous rubs handle and cook like something I can't recreate. But, I suspect it is more about spices than any coloring.

big brother smoke 11-15-2012 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landarc (Post 2272527)
To be honest, I use Ryan Chesters rubs, and for the most part, I can recreate the look pretty closely in terms of color. There is no magic. I have to say, that whatever Steph does to his rubs, the Simply Marvelous rubs handle and cook like something I can't recreate. But, I suspect it is more about spices than any coloring.


:tape::tape::wink:

Cayman1 11-15-2012 02:59 PM

It appears that Big Poppa Smokers now owns Simply Marvelous rubs. Went to SM to order just now and saw this.

landarc 11-15-2012 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cayman1 (Post 2272552)
It appears that Big Poppa Smokers now owns Simply Marvelous rubs. Went to SM to order just now and saw this.

No, Big Poppa has the exclusive distribution rights to Simply Marvelous.

Cayman1 11-15-2012 03:16 PM

Somewhat confusing on their website.
"Coachella, CA - November 14th, 2012 - Big Poppa Smokers is proud to announce the acquisition of the retail store for the fabulous Simply Marvelous Rubs by pitmaster Stephan Franklin. Big Poppa Smokers will become the exclusive Internet outlet for Simply Marvelous Rubs."

Sounds like they bought the store.

G$ 11-15-2012 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cayman1 (Post 2272573)
Somewhat confusing on their website.
"Coachella, CA - November 14th, 2012 - Big Poppa Smokers is proud to announce the acquisition of the retail store for the fabulous Simply Marvelous Rubs by pitmaster Stephan Franklin. Big Poppa Smokers will become the exclusive Internet outlet for Simply Marvelous Rubs."

Sounds like they bought the store.

Maybe the guy that posted above you can clarify. In any case. BPS customer service and shipping is awesome, and I am happy with the new arrangement. Steph would not have done it if it weren't the right thing for him.

big brother smoke 11-16-2012 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G$ (Post 2272699)
Maybe the guy that posted above you can clarify. In any case. BPS customer service and shipping is awesome, and I am happy with the new arrangement. Steph would not have done it if it weren't the right thing for him.


I still own SM rubs. BPS is moving product for me over the interwebs, exclusively. :clap:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.