The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Packers, etc. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147293)

pitbossJB 11-04-2012 05:24 PM

Packers, etc.

This may sound like a dumb question, but here goes. When you see packers and other cryo packed meats in the store have they ever been frozen or only refrigerated? How are they shipped? Thanks.

tyotrain 11-04-2012 05:37 PM

If its not straight from the butcher I would say its been froze at some point.

Have fun and happy smoking
BBQ UP

pitbossJB 11-06-2012 06:26 PM

So does anybody here know how packers are shipped?

sacgsxr 11-06-2012 06:28 PM

Pretty sure they come frozen.

Sent from my GT-P7310 using Tapatalk 2

landarc 11-06-2012 06:41 PM

Unless it specifically states that is has never been frozen, it is impossible to tell. The likelihood is that it has been frozen at some point. But, the fact that the name is cryo-vac should offer some reassurance, that the meat inside an intact cryovac or similar bag will be fine.

Requiem 11-06-2012 06:42 PM

I am almost... i mean almost positive they are frozen and merely thaw in the case. I have felt many cryovac briskets that were still half frozen from multiple retailers. Though it is said that freezing may increase tenderness... (I don't agree, I think quality of the cow gives you tenderness) but it might have a smidgen of truth.

pitbossJB 11-06-2012 11:33 PM

Thank you guys, I was of the opinion that they were frozen as well. I just didn't know for sure.

cameraman 11-07-2012 06:28 AM

Why not ask the butcher?

Grizzly6 11-07-2012 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Requiem (Post 2265358)
I am almost... i mean almost positive they are frozen and merely thaw in the case. I have felt many cryovac briskets that were still half frozen from multiple retailers. Though it is said that freezing may increase tenderness... (I don't agree, I think quality of the cow gives you tenderness) but it might have a smidgen of truth.

Freezing does create some additional tenderness in the meat, not as much as the quality of the meat, but it does provide some. When the juices freeze they expand and, when thawed, degrade the cell structure to some point allowing for the transfer of fluids throughout the meat.

This is my limited knowledge so if I am wrong please correct me on this one. Thank you

Bbq Bubba 11-07-2012 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pitbossJB (Post 2265342)
So does anybody here know how packers are shipped?

Usually in a box on a truck???

If your buying from a quality retailer, your brisket probably has NOT been frozen.

willbird 11-07-2012 09:04 AM

Hmm I wonder if you got one still frozen, then parked your 4wd truck on it, and let it thaw under the wheel, if that would tenderize it :-) ??

Bill